cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Receving Other peoples email

Go to solution

My wife has had an email address on my bt account for many years.  Recently she has been receiving emails for persons with the same name.  Some of them seemingly important, like job confirmations and appointments.   How can this happen.

It would cause domestic ructions to Change her email address after all these years.  Advice please.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Receving Other peoples email

Go to solution

Hi @CornishRambler welcome to the community and thanks for posting, is the to address on the email the exact same as your wife's? It sounds like someone may have mistakingly provided to these organisations it thinking it was their own email.

You could use the block sender feature in BT email to stop them from reaching her inbox. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@CornishRambler wrote:

My wife has had an email address on my bt account for many years.  Recently she has been receiving emails for persons with the same name.  Some of them seemingly important, like job confirmations and appointments.   How can this happen.

It would cause domestic ructions to Change her email address after all these years.  Advice please.

There's no need to change her email address, its just somebody making a typo or have been given the wrong address. Think of it as the same as a 'wrong number' in telephone terms.

Either delete them or reply saying  she is not the intended recipient of the email and would they please delete the address from their records.

Happens all the time.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@CornishRamblerwrote:

There's no need to change her email address, its just somebody making a typo or have been given the wrong address. Think of it as the same as a 'wrong number' in telephone terms.

Either delete them or reply saying  she is not the intended recipient of the email and would they please delete the address from their records.

Happens all the time.

Especially with BT if you opt for an email address based on your own name. The system doesn't allow this and you have to add numbers to the end or add another word or let the system do it for you. I suppose it is understandable as there are so many John Smiths etc around!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Carlusha wrote:

Especially with BT if you opt for an email address based on your own name. The system doesn't allow this and you have to add numbers to the end or add another word or let the system do it for you. I suppose it is understandable as there are so many John Smiths etc around!

The system does allow it.

I have four BTMail email addresses that are based on my name with or without middle name initials, none of which have a number or special character. The first one was "made" about 1995 when it was common to use your name as your email address but the two more recent ones were made within the last few years. 

What you may find is that if you have a common name it will already have been taken and obviously you can not have two email addresses exactly the same so you are offered the option of a BT generated one based on a variation f your name which may include a number. 

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

As @gg30340 says, you needed to get in early with a common name. I have 4 addresses that are first name.surname that were set up when bt email first started.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice @gg30340 

Apologies for we only joined when we moved upon my retirement in 2007. Before that time, we used the previous occupant's Virgin cable which, at that time was blisteringly fast at 40mbs.

I had forgotten BT have been in existence since the Battle of Trafalgar! 

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

😄😃😃

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks.
0 Ratings