cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Replacing my BT smart hub

Go to solution

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a new router to replace my smart hub with as I would prefer to use a router with QoS.

My question is: can I plug the new router in and it will connect automatically or would I need to turn the smart hub into a modem (if it is capable of that) and then plug my new router into that?

If there is any other additional setup steps required that anyone would know about then please let me know.

My new router will be NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000P for reference.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Replacing my BT smart hub

Go to solution

First of all we need to know what broadband service you have, full fibre (FTTP), VDSL (FTTC) or G.Fast.

Unless you have FTTP, you will need either a modem/router or separate modem. The R7000P doesn't have a built in modem. If you have G.Fast, suitable devices are very limited.

The Smart Hub doesn't have a modem only mode.

Any router you do use will just require the generic BT PPPoE credentials which are username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Checking on the smart hub manager it says I have VDSL (FTTC) so would that mean that I would need a separate modem/router?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@RyanC95 wrote:

Checking on the smart hub manager it says I have VDSL (FTTC) so would that mean that I would need a separate modem/router?

Or one of these or similar. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/service-provider/dsl-router/archer-vr400/

It has QOS features and bandwidth controls and very easy to configure.

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I would probably stay clear of the R7000 as it’s not known to be one of NG better routers.

Also check the firmwares when you look for a new router. Some manufacturers simply stop updating the security side and a good indication is the date of the last firmware. If say it’s a year old I would bypass that router. 
also as we step into the WiFi 6 routers the older WiFi 5 routers go EOL, again check as they are often on sale but the firmware and support stopped a while back. 

Can I ask why you require QoS?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Ok thanks for the heads up I'll keep those things in mind. I was looking for QoS to help with latency as my internet just becomes so bad if I'm playing games whilst my parents are watching any films/shows. I cant seem to be able to change the video quality on the youview tv box so having a router that supports QoS (or mu-mimo?) would allow me to try and prioritise my device instead.

Another reason I've decided to try out QoS is because I'm working at home now which involves a lot of voice calls and I've noticed I'm getting interruptions when someone is talking to me which is quite annoying. This only happens if someone is using Netflix, Now Tv etc.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@RyanC95 

The TP Link routers handle both QOS and bandwidth controls very well. I have the cheaper TP Link TD-W9970 which has bandwidth controls which are very useful on my 10Mb ASDL connection and enables devices that do not need priority, to run in the background, without impacting on everything else. 

In your case, you give Netflix devices the lowest priority for download and upload. The difference will not be noticed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

If you are into gaming and want a better setup there are a few routers out there aimed more at helping gamers.

While the tp link looks good sadly tp link have a bit of a name when it comes to support and it’s been a while since they release the last firmware on the one linked. All routers have a life span so perhaps it’s time to think of moving onwards. security side should be a major concern when picking a router.

Couple of suggestions, the Asus AX86U has lots of controls for QoS including Merlin support. Nice router, one of the better single routers out there and leads the way over many a more expensive router.

Netduma do a range of routers manufactured by Netgear, the software is not quite as polished as the Asus but it has a great QoS and traffic priority. For a busy household the netgear XR1000 is the WiFi 6 router or the XR500 offers WiFi 5 wave 2 support. 

The biggest difference is Netduma requires constant interaction where the Asus is more set and forget. If you wanted a router with a polished firmware and software the Asus is the better option. 
both will out perform the tp link and both are supported so security updates are always available. The Asus offer lifetime virus and malware protection which is free where  with Netgear if you want that cover you must pay for Armor which protects your devices on an annual subscription. 

Both offer leading class QoS options, smallnetbuilder has plenty of info on the Asus and Netduma have their forum where you can see what it’s about. Personally if you have a family and want a set and forget router with great performance the Asus is easier once you have it all set up. 

These are all single use routers so as long as your previous router covered your property all these will offer that and again the Asus might offer just a bit better coverage than the XR1000 or XR500. 

To be honest the R7000 is a little plagued with issues and knocking on a bit now and manufacturers are well on the move over to WiFi 6. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@Stu_H  You appear to be missing the fact that the OP has a FTTC service rather than FTTP so needs to be either looking for a combined modem/router or both a router and standalone modem. Just recommending routers is probably a bit misleading.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

No you can DMZ the home hub if memory serves me well as we have members on Netduma that use that option as a work around.

And to be frank a router that’s not had a single security update in a year is not one to touch. 
It’s not hard either to connect a modem and there are a few options if DMZ is not available or preferred. 
Sadly TP link don’t have the greatest name out there and sadly the combo units are few and far between now.

0 Ratings