cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Router automatic restarts every 14 days

Hi there, 

I have a smarthub 2, which keeps being restarted by BT every 14 days for "firmware updates", and i have no control over this.  

Is there a way to turn this off? 

For my line of work, i need to be whitelisted to access certain things, and the whitelisting takes between 1-4 days, so I'm sure you can understand my annoyance, as it does affect my severely. 

I have since purchased a 3rd party router to try and combat this, however the wifi connection isn't as great as bt's smart hub 2 was,  so i may end up returning it. 

If anyone has any insights on how to stop BT from interfering with my router i'd appreciate it. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Router automatic restarts every 14 days

simple answer is you can't apart from get a third party router   use search facility there are numerous posts on the subject

if you time the auto resets to when not normally in use then more inconvenience than a problem - unless it starts to affect your connection speed which is unusual

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Presumably you are referring to your IP address being changed every time your BT Hub reboots.

Changing your router would not stop this. Regardless of the BT router restarting every 14 days, you will still have a dynamic IP address that is changed on a frequent basis by your ISP.

If you need a "white listed" IP address you will need to get a static IP address and that is not possible with a BT residential broadband connection.

To get that you would need to have a BT Business line.

See link,

What is an IP address? | My static IP | BT Business (custhelp.com)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Understandable. 

Why do BT do this though? As no other provider does this, especially not as frequent. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

BT don't do it - it is DLM  there seems not reasoning behind it and does not affect everyone.  I had the 14 day problem for months with different hubs then it just stopped and now my is rock solid on SH2 and only resets when firmware update, power cut or manually reset.  can be connected for months

I found that by resetting at early morning when not being used the reset tends to be almost within minutes so the 14 reset happen when it was not a problem.  It is more of an inconvenience as drop quickly reconnects at same speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings