cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Scam? 8am Xmas day text message from BT on landline

"One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous vermin....." Franz Kafka.

We were woken at 8:02 this Christmas morning by the telephone ringing downstairs. As my mother is at her home having suffered a broken pelvis following a fall I was immediately transformed from a peaceful contented sleeper to a man of action, and rushed down to answer it.
The phone stopped ringing.
The number following some research appears to be that of the BT text to landline service.
At 8:13 it rang again, and I listened to a message advising me of a credit that would be applied to the bill because we had been without service for 2 days. I can only assume that this may refer to an event some weeks ago when workers installing Cityfibre cables cut through the main phone cable for the entire road.
I cannot call BT billing to check, of course, as everyone is contentedly sleeping or otherwise enjoying the start to Christmas Day.
Kafkaesque

I might as well start boiling the sprouts, we'll eat in 5 hours.

Happy Christmas!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Scam? 8am Xmas day text message from BT on landline

If it was just an advisory text, I'd imagine that it's just a poorly timed automated text rather than a scam

Message 3 of 4

Hi @pmwhitlow 

Thank you for your post and welcome back!

The fact that there was a recent fault on your line and that you were off for a few days does make me believe that this call confirming the credit was genuine.  Could definitely have been timed much better though.  I am very sorry for disturbing you so early - especially on Christmas morning.

I hope your Mum is on the mend and I wish her a speedy recovery.  Enjoy your sprouts later.  Personally, they are not for me whatsoever.  However, I am frowned upon by most who I say that to haha

Take care and have a great day!

All the best,

Robbie

Message 4 of 4

@RobbieMacwrote:

Enjoy your sprouts later.  Personally, they are not for me whatsoever.  However, I am frowned upon by most who I say that to haha

Rightly so, sprouts when cooked right are fantastic, still it means more for others, Merry Christmas everyone 🎄