cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Scam call, pressed 1

My elderly mum has just had a scam phone call.  A recorded message saying she's going to have her phone cut off, press 1.
She pressed 1.

Apparently it cut off after that.  I'm assuming that there's no harm done as there was no one on the other end, but I'd just like to check that.

And yes, I've told her to hang up next time, and I've gone onto her account and blocked the number.

So, can anyone confirm that as she's not given any details and the call terminated after pressing 1 that all is well?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Scam call, pressed 1

All she has done is verified that the phone number is active and a real person answered. Unfortunately probably not the best thing in the world to happen, as they now know that there is somebody at that number receptive to scammers.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Scam call, pressed 1

Shame BT can't do more to help with this sort of thing.

Fortunately I deal with my mothers finances, and have her bank card so I can do her shopping, and like most people she doesn't know her bank details off the top of her head.   Scammers wouldn't be able to get any details from her in that regard anyway.  She's been told to hang up in future.  

0 Ratings