cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Signal Dropping out all the time, for the past 2 Weeks. Never happened on my Home Hub 3

Go to solution

So I’ve been having a nightmare with BT. 

My Home Hub 3 was hacked, somehow, by someone in Ghana. So I unplugged it. I’d been given a Smart Hub 2 last year, when my contract was renewed. I didn’t use it, as I wasn’t that impressed with the size and build, and more than satisfied with the Home Hub 3 which was working reasonably okay (over 7 years I’ve had it), till it was hacked. And even if it had been useable still, I disconnected it and plugged the new Smart Hub 2 in.

I have a ASDL/Copper connection. I’m 5 miles from the BT Cabinet because I live in the middle of nowhere. 
When I first plugged in the Smart Hub 2 around the end of August, beginning of September it was working fine, perfectly. At about 1.7 mbps. And then I switched over from Halo, to the new Home Essentials contract because I’m not rich. And on disability. 
It was all okay, until the weekend of the 24th September, when my internet just started to play up, continually disconnect. Nothing has changed in my life, no new gadgets. Etc. It dropped 1000 times over 4 days. On that weekend. Which is just ridiculous.
l’ve had two engineers out. Had a new Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) sent out, packed up the Smart Hub 2 to send back. Still it’s just going from one speed to another… From the highest ever today at 2.06 mbps to 0.94 mbps.
When on my Home Hub 3 it was always around the 1.40-1.60 mbps range.
Am I seriously going to have to buy a second hand Home Hub 3, or is there something the engineers are not picking up, because I’ve not changed a thing, and I’ve been using my iPad mini 4 happily with my Home Hub 3 since last May when I got a new iPad.
I changed the router to just use the one wifi channel to 2.4 GHz, like my Home Hub 3. But it’s still not working correctly, the swing is too great between speeds. I want my stable old internet back.

768FB44A-DCDD-45C0-A07B-E11370FCF7D5.jpeg

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Signal Dropping out all the time, for the past 2 Weeks. Never happened on my Home Hub 3

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and  then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

have you turned of smart setup  

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Re: Signal Dropping out all the time, for the past 2 Weeks. Never happened on my Home Hub 3

Go to solution

Smart Set up was off, I turned it on just now.

I’ve tried the Quiet line, as far as I know there’s no interference, just a continuous whine a bit on the line. But no crackling or ticking unless my iPad was next to it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

smart setup is best set to off

any noise on quiet line test is a problem - it should be totally silent with corded phone.  if you have not tried it from test socket then I would try that to ensure nothing in your internal wiring causing problem before reporting phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

But I’m not an engineer, I don’t know what I’m meant to be hearing or not. I’ve had two engineers out already. They said there’s nothing wrong with the line. I’ve been given a new Master socket, ASDL filter and a new Lan Wire, and a Smart Hub, all in the space of two weeks.
I’m not sure what I’m meant to be hearing or not hearing?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

I’ve been told by the Engineer that about 2.20 mbps comes into my house from outside of course there is some loss between the socket, the router and my iPad. But shouldn’t be dropping to 0.9, or 0.3 when usually I got a steady 1.4-1.5 for years. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

some of the information I requested would help forum member help you

any speed tests should be done using ethernet connection as checking download speeds over wifi fluctuate as you can see .  There is no speed guarantee over wifi

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

CAC3542B-D2CB-4BA0-8EC6-7829D5538F37.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

66450167-D9F2-4ADD-8757-6608AFCBE4D8.jpeg1A868CFB-34BC-4893-A3AC-90B58C80BF0B.jpeg99A36909-7F49-448B-9AF4-82145B8F9C39.jpeg4A8F02DC-9F48-42F6-A6CF-E21515E44C37.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Whether wifi speed checker or not. (I don’t have an Ethernet cable). These are the consistent speeds I was getting all last year on my Home Hub 3, to the beginning of this. Some dropout here or there, but not consistent like I’ve had in the past week or two. 
88778123-42B7-4920-9B02-6D7AF23EA2ED.jpeg

0 Ratings