I have a Smart Hub 2 with two discs. I have an issue where some devices have internet and some don't. I have logged into the router's admin and can see some devices are being assigned an "Private IP address: 10.0.1.xx (static)" and some assigned "Private IP address: 192.168.1.xx (static)". Devices with IP address starting 192.168 work fine.
What I have found is that I have to set my devices' IP address manually to use 192.168.1.xx IP addresses in order to work. However, I have some devices that I can't seem to manually set the IP (I don't know the folllowing: Subnet Prefix Length, Gateway, Preferred DNS, Alternate DNS). Setting a device's IP manually is not an ideal solution either.
I have disabled Smart Setup. I have restored to factory settings. I have also turned off Authoritative DHCP which made no difference.
Can anyone offer anything suggestions on what to try next?
Hmm, a bit odd.
Not sure how the hub is managing to see and show devices connected to the 10.0.1.xx subnet.
What address does the actual device in question show as having on the device itself?
For static addresses on devices subnet prefix is 255.255.255.0, Gateway is 192.168.1.254 Preferred DNS is either 192.168.1.254 if you want to use BT DNS or 220.127.116.11 if you want to use Google (other DNS providers are available) Alternate DNS is 192.168.1.254 for BT or 18.104.22.168 for Google.
I have several devices, but one as an example is showing:
IPv4 address: 10.0.1.47
IPv4 DNS servers: 10.0.1.1
Regarding manually setting the IP, my Dell doesn't seem to like those settings. I keep getting a message "Can't save IP settings. Check one or more settings and try again". My Mac was a little more straight forward to manually set the IP (Using DHCP with manual address).
Very strangely, on devices that are not connecting correctly, sometime I can load google but not other websites. Some apps on a phone will work but not others. If the device has an IP starting with 192.168 I have no issues whatsoever. I have tried changing the firewall settings to no avail.
I'm at a loss to understand what is happening here.
I could understand if the devices were connecting to another DHCP server in the 10.0.1.x range and getting addresses but I can't understand how you can see those devices in the hub manager that is in the 192.168.1.x subnet.
Set the DELL as below
My manual IP setup looks slightly different, but I got it working with Subnet Prefix Length of 24
You can see the hub's device list showing the various IP addresses. It's super annoying and difficult to add some devices as you can imagine, and it seems the only option is to set a static IP forcing the device to 192.168.1.xx
Did the Dell get a 10.x.x.x address or is it just Apple devices?
If just Apple, try turning off MAC address randomisation on the devices.
Unfortunately, it does not seem to be brand specific. Apple phones, Samsung phones, Mac laptop, Dell laptop, all the same issue.
A bit drastic, but as a test, can you turn off all the wifi discs and just try connecting the devices directly to the hub and see if you get the same problem.
I have exactly the same problem. Some devices have 192. 168.1.x IP addresses and are fine. Others are issued 10.1.x.x and don’t work properly. It seems to be random - some devices work, some don’t. For instance my iPad gets an automatic IP address which works, but my MacBook needs me to enter it manually. My friends Dell laptop also ends up with a 10.1.x.x and I have to give it an manual address. A bit of a pain.
I should say that I complained to BT about this who insisted all their equipment was working and it had nothing to do with them. They then sent our BT Openreach. The Openreach person confirmed that some devices were indeed connected to the router, but could not get to the outside world. But he also insisted it was not their problem and so BT Broadband sent me a new hub.
The exact same thing happened.
Once I've set up individual IP addresses it works perfectly well. But a nuisance when someone new comes to visit.