cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Streaming via app like Netflix/All 4 on BT TV causes WiFi to stop working

We have a BT TV box and homehub, BT TV box is wired into home hub, no other devices wired in. Various devices connect to home hub WiFi.

If we use the Netflix or All 4 app via the BT TV box all WiFi connected devices cannot connect to WiFi, on these devices the WiFi icon disappears or says it's connected with no internet available.

If we close the app on TV box they start working again pretty much immediately.

We got a new BT TV box recently but had this issue on our older box too.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Streaming via app like Netflix/All 4 on BT TV causes WiFi to stop working

Have you tried using a different ethernet port on the Home Hub?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Yep, been getting this occuring on and off for the last 6 months, changed the ports with no fix.

Al other devices are fine, BT TV box just seems to kill the WiFi on all other connected devices when streaming (even the Internet TV channels, not just apps)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

A very old thread so it may no longer work but someone here suggested enabling IGMP snooping

Unable to use WIFI when BT TV is running - Page 2 - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I have looked through a lot of older threads like that one but these appear to be in relation to using a different router.

Im using a BT TV box wired directly to my BT Router as it's the only option to connect them together, no other devices are wired in (the online control panel says the router is a BT Smart Hub), I can't find any settings related to IGMP snooping in the router dashboard.

And even if there was I'm unsure why I would need to change it anyway as I'm using 2 pieces of standard BT equipment, their TV box wired to the router (the only option available), the router connects directly to the telephone socket and other devices are WiFi connected, there isn't any other way I could connect this together, so why would I need to disable a setting for the setup I have? I could understand it if I was using some third party equipment that wasn't configured correctly, but I'm using BT's equipment exactly as they have told me.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Just to help anyone else with this issue.

I had a BT engineer out to check this, they installed a new router (looked the same as the old one with the old BT logo on).

This didn't rectify the issue after they left.

BT sent me the new BT TV (WiFi enabled) box, as this doesn't connect via ethernet it appears to have solved the issue (not sure if it would do the same if wired in as I don't want to connect by wire).

So if you are having this issue I would suggest doing the same.

0 Ratings