cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 36

Re: Stuck on 720p

Go to solution
We will be restoring 1080p50 to Amazon devices that support it as soon as this is resolved.

Further analysis has confirmed that a bug has been introduced by Amazon in the latest OS update that means the video decoder is failing to handle switching between different quality levels. If we start the stream at the top level, it plays fine. The problem is that anyone who isn't on a fast enough connection then wouldn't be able to play anything at all - it'd timeout trying to start the video.
We've raised this with Amazon directly, but don't yet have any timescales on how quick they can fix this.
In the meantime, we're testing a workaround where we manually force the decoder to reset when switching. This does cause a visible glitch on screen every time it switches, but this should be infrequent (once or twice when the video starts, and then not again unless the bandwidth changes). Assuming testing goes well, we'll aim to get this temporary patch out next week (unless Amazon manage to provide a fix or better solution in the meantime).
Message 32 of 36

Go to solution

Yesterday’s update didn’t seem to have made any difference when I was watching the cricket last night. My device is still being forced to 720p/25 but without dropping any frames. No change for me there. As long as BT Sport Ultimate’s ok on there, that’s the main thing until a fix is found.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 36

Go to solution
This update allows us to turn on a temporary workaround, but I had to leave it overnight last night for devices to update themselves.
I've just turned on the workaround for the Fire Stick 4k 1st gen. You'll now see a black screen flash up as it jumps to the higher quality, but then it should stabilise.
Amazon are estimating at least a few weeks before they'll have a proper fix available.
Message 34 of 36

Go to solution

Ok, I’ve got it now, thanks. The black screen is barely noticeable, blink and you’ll miss it. Great work guys 👍.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 36

Go to solution

Massively appreciate the fix and work to get this available. Im wanting to move away from the AppleTV to my Fire Stick and this is an extra tick on the pro's.

P.S, any hope of the Extra streams going 50fps? Even at 720p...... 

Message 36 of 36

Go to solution

(Not an issue, more an observation on BT SPORT via the Fire Stick 4K)

Watched the Palace Vs Spurs match earlier and no issues at all. The smoothness of video as it went through the quality-change (The black screen i actually like, as i know where im at in terms of how it goes through the gears to hit 1080p50) and the fix for the ad handling issues previously was seemless between the played-out channel and the inserted ads.

Quality also looks alot better too; not sure if something has changed at all in that respect but enjoying the experience and appreciate the work that's gone into sorting the BT Sport experience via the Fire TV Stick 4K

(Also installed the recent update from this week which i know fixed the ad issues)