cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Sudden drop in conection speed and connection stability

yes, yes it should and I can't see any reason for it not to since the face plate simply extends a metal strip connection from the 'socket' where the plug from the filter goes in, and the 'plug' extruded behind the face of the plate that goes into other socket .

As I mentioned, I'm just assuming that theres a slight mismatch in a contact strip somewhere between the plug on the filter and the internal socket that the faceplate which is why it doesn't work.

It's setup thus,: socket -->filter -->supplied router cable (a meter maybe) -->router

I appreciate checking the basics but theres no other extension cords and nothing had changed last night when it started playing up. No foul weather, no lightning, no storms, nothing.

Theres no reported outages that I can see and nothing when I query the phone number.

The router stats report a theoretical maximum which is consistent with my previous experience and I'm surmising that if it's suggesting these kinds of numbers then it's not physical damage anywhere. Surely if there was damage then the reported theoretical would be lower?

I'm just basing this on the assumption that those values are the speed that they could probably get negotiating between the router and cabinet but that they then settle on something that would be reliable and consistent. Thats fine, and I know we were sailing pretty close to the wind sometimes with SNR values that were low but for the last 2 and a bit years this has worked fine.

To have the connection speed halved to bring up the SNR to a more 'reliable' level is not a 'reliability feature' I'm not very happy with. Sure, there has been no disconnects today but then there weren't any for the last few years either.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit **bleep** off but it's pretty frustrating!

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

I assume you have nothing connected to terminals 2&5 beneath the blue connector on left of socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

It' a clear connector in this case and there is.

Untitled2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

That explains why you cannot get connection at test socket as 2&5 under clear plastic is where any extensions would be connected whereas the main connection is on the back of that plate in terminals A&B. So when you remove the faceplate you disconnect the test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Well that's one thing cleared up.

Cheers!

Still stuck with the much reduced line speed though. Any thoughts as to what might be going on or what to do about it?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

I can't believe the openreach engineer connected the socket like that unless you have something else connected as well mY e nearer wher the line comes into your home.

If there is nothing then if it was mine I would rewire the socket so the incoming openreach wiring connects to the correct terminals A&B on the back and see if that helps

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

There is another socket thats an extension of this one but AFAIK it was disconnected. The line in is on the outside of the same wall the socket is attached to.

I'd be tempted to make the changes you mention but I really can't afford to have even the limited connection we've got stop working if something went wrong.

Besides, it's been fine for years so I'm not sure how or why this has happened now.

The only change to the setup here was adding an AP (a couple of weeks ago) but again, I don't see how that results in a substantive restriction in the line from the cabinet. It worked fine from installation till a few nights ago.

The line  dropped last night and reconnected at 3:30am to exactly the same values as previous, 5797/800

The only other thing I'd like to check is plugging in the original BT broadband hub to see if the numbers are the same so I could at least rule out my own hardware but I'm not really sure where it is.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

So another update.

Spoke to BT but at the time they were unable to do anything as it's not one of their routers.

They agreed to send another one out that arrived this morning .

On plugging that in, same speeds and SNR values (and reporting the same maximum values) as my previous router.

Actually the downstream is slightly different reporting 5.8 but thats likely just rounding. Upstream exactly the same at 0.8

So back to BT and onto Openreach I suppose.

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

have you tried the other 'extension' socket to see if it has dial tone

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

I've not.

Since I've another (mobile) router now and the family are away out I'll give that a try as well just to see what happens but based on everything thus far, if it is still connected the story will be the same.

0 Ratings