cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Super slow

Hi, I e been a bt customer since 2015 and had renewed my contract once previously. Going from home hub 5 to smart hub that can go as far as 8 double decker (I think was the sales pitch)

I live in a 1950s build house so I couldn't get it to go through 2 walls lol

Anyway, with nts service I e never had a problem with 3 ps4s 2 pcs 2 tvs streaming and even a switch and phones, all at the same time ( as long as I was in range to the hub, never had a problem.

Yesterday I had my SH 2 fitted and connected to full fibre to the property and I'm lagging and glitching online in most of the games I or my sines have tried. 

Streaming is OK but the bt speed test states I'm not connected to my sh2 and can't complete diagnostics online

I have fibre halo1 900 

Speed tests are showing average of 29 mbps down and 38 up (even my android phone on giffgaff is faster)

Is there possibly something the engineers missed when installing or has mabey my setting not been updated by bt, it should of started my new contract yesterday and my TV service has changed as it should of so I assume it was all done right.

Please don't give me guff about a new installation taking time to settle as I've never had any problems with the service at the start bt had always been fantastic and in 6 yrs I've never had to call out or even phone up or register a fault, even with multiple devices connected its never failed, which tells me this time somethings not been turned on yet.... Maybe lol

Anyway help is always appreciated

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Super slow

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

try  https://fast.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

I ha ent, but I'll try it. Thanks

Aslo, bt are doing a diagnostic as I'm writing this so hopefully will all be sorted soon

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Smart setup didn't sort it,

Neither did bt faults or the engineer that has been sent for 3 hrs.

Lady on the phone said my open reach box was pinging at 900mbps, so obviously they decided to change it for another one (having pinging at the speed I'm suppose to have, I'm really unsure why)

Anyway, I'm not an engineer for bt and don't claim to know there systems any more than another customer..... But surely common sense says there must be a problem between my computer/phones and the white open reach box, which is obviously the  bt smart hub 2 unit itself.  So I was amazed when the engineer said that he's coming back tomorrow to go up the pole and clean a connector as he thinks it's that. 

Process of elimination suggests to me it would be the hub itself as the over the telephone engineer lady said she couldn't see my devices connected to my hub via the ethernet and a few other niggly things

All devices worked perfect on the smart hub 1 so I'm 110% sure there fine.

I'll update when the engineer has been tomorrow. Hopefully he's right and it's a dodgy connection on the pole 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Okay quick update...... Ive managed to get the ethernet downloading at 580mbps and 80 upload via ethernet (compared to 70 down and 30up)
Wifi however for the same device (Ps4) is still the same at 40-60 down and 10 up
I've used the old smart hub and turned it into an extender using lan 4 as it's Internet IN, and connected to lan 1 on smart hub 2.
And its giving me the same 580 via lan and now is up to 220 download on WiFi via the smart hub 1 used as an extender......... I'm sorry, bt engineer or not.... That new smart hub 2 is goosed!!!!
Am I right???

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Simple enough to prove duff hub or not. Connect computer directly to the ONT, set up a PPPoE connection and test speed. You should get full 900.

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com Password BT.

Message 7 of 8

So, the engineer left with head in hands again, I tried the pppoe test and getting slow speeds through that too.

The engineers laptop was getting 400 ish mbps compared to my much newer laptop that can only get 80 mbps

He said it has to be the router now so it's ordered and I'll update once fitted.

Tbh though at this point I'm really not hopeful.... So I'll give to 14 days for it to be sorted then I'll be canceling and go back to the copper line as I never had an issue in 6 yrs, I'm only upgrading for greed and future proofing so to speak.

Bit frustrating to know 3 of my neighbours are getting a pefdect connection but I'm not.

Fingers crossed its the hub

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

If you can't get the speed direct from the ONT with a PPPoE  ethernet connection then it obviously has nothing to do with the hub.

0 Ratings