cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

TIM or BT Speaking Clock Mobile Charges

Go to solution

To all in the BT Forum Community,

I have just spoken with John from BT mobile Warrington office regarding charges on my recent mobile bills for March/April and have discovered these are due to 123 calls and therefore want to make everyone aware these are chargeable at a min of 31p per minute and was subsequently unaware calling TIM was chargeable not to mention this expensive rate. You are NOT made aware the call is chargeable at the time and John has therefore credited me the amount and has suggested that if anyone else reading this has incurred charges then to contact him to be reimbursed. Please see below information found on Google regarding current charges related to 123 Timeline as it is now referred too.

Is it free to call the speaking clock?

TIM or the BT Speaking Clock is alive and well and can be heard by dialling 123 though these days it costs a minimum of 31 pence. The hourly pips or Greenwich Time Signal on analogue BBC Radio 4 are free and typically accurate to within 1/1000th of a second or 1 millisecond (1Ms) across the UK.26 Nov 2011

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: TIM or BT Speaking Clock Mobile Charges

Go to solution

Calling the speaking clock is chargeable. If you have internet connect devices you can sync your various home clocks to time displayed on internet devices

There’s little need to use the service now, unless your timepieces or mobile phone displays have failed.

Both BT Wi-fi and BT mobile sync to the NPL transmitter.

(even at BST/ GMT time change dates your devices will change automatically) .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

After regularly being charged for 123 calls I definitely didn't make, I called BT today to complain and a young box-ticker called GITA told me I was a liar as there was no record of BT activity on my line on the date of the calls.  As you are all saying, no-one seems to call this number other than it's OpenReach trying to check something out, or severe crackling on the line causing a fault  The woman on the line seemed completely unaware of the many complaints over the years and denied it was anybody's fault but mine.  As we all have other devices which tell us the time, I'm on a campaign to get BT simply to stop making people pay for this call.  Anybody want to join in?  Bob.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@millinship 

As you say nowadays well have many ways to tell the current time so why phone BT for the current time in the first place?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I'm always willing to be educated & had to check the OP wasn't from the 1980s, but only two years old. So you take a device that tells you the time & use it to call BT to find out the time? 🤔

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@millinship 

An intermittent line fault can cause 123 to be dialled. by Loop Disconnect Dialling. If the line is crackling, then that would indicate a line fault, and if you report it as a noisy phone line, it should get fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I have been sent an email telling me that this issue has been "solved".  Of course uit hasn't, someone here is just telling people how to find out the time without dialling 123....  So this issue is clearly NOT solved.

However, since BT fixed my line crackle, I have (so far) had no further 123  call charges for calls I didn't make.

Is it me, or is whoever put this up on the page just stupid?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

In case you are not aware. It is the OP of thread that you have jumped on that marks the problem that they have as solved to their satisfaction regardless of who else posts on the thread.

If you decide too jump on some one elses thread that is up to you.

If you have a problem you should start your own thread and assuming it gets resolved you could mark it as solved, and if it is not resolved you don't mark it as solved.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
'a young box-ticker called GITA'

Wow. You're a nice chap.
0 Ratings