cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Think these were scam calls supposedly from BT engineer

Go to solution

Over past two days have received three calls, supposedly from a BT engineer advising of a problem with my internet connection.

First two calls were taken by my wife who told him to call back and came from 01211185945 and 01214667244.

Third call today came from 01210322469 while I was at home.

Caller claimed to be Leo Williams and calling from Newgate Street, London (which didn't tie in with the Birmingham No. showing).

I have not been having any issues so did not co-operate and told him I would need to verify his identity. He gave me 0800800120 as number to call but I have not done so, since haven't been able to verify that to be a BT number.

I believe this must be a scam but cannot be certain.

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Think these were scam calls supposedly from BT engineer

Go to solution

I have same story, but I got email as it says from engineer department but it's confused me, because email did not look like BT's corporate email, it was : le*******@ laina-finance.fi
I do not know what it's but i did not reply.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Both are a scam.

BT will NOT call you to tell you that you have a problem with your Internet connection.

BT will NOT email you from a non BT email address. 

See links.

Protecting you from scams | BT Help

BT Yahoo Email and Services Switchover

Cyber security: How to protect personal details online | BT Business (custhelp.com)

I’ve just received a call from someone claiming to be from BT – how do I know if this call is genuin...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks,

I was pretty sure it was a scam but the guy was pretty insistent that there was a problem and he was from BT.

I didn't fall for it but others may.

Can BT not investigate source of these calls and take action?

I suppose the three numbers I have recorded could be public call boxes or else offices where caller cannot be identified?

If the caller is involved in potential fraud involving BT then it seems likely he is also the source of bank fraud and other similar scams. I don't understand why (where a source phone number is identified) no action is taken.

Before posting on this forum, I did use the BT scam reporting system to report the number from which "Leo Williams" called.

Regards,

JC

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@jaycee3 wrote:

I don't understand why (where a source phone number is identified) no action is taken.

If only it was that simple. Have a read about spoofed numbers.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings