cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: Using a router connected to my Smart Hub 2 via the Ethernet port; any concerns I should be aware

Oh wow! I totally forgot I could've just done that...I'm so stupid. Thank you for the reminder. I actually just wanted one source of WiFI but using the Netgear router meant greater coverage. That solves all my issues as I can just connect with a long Ethernet cable. Am I right that I need to log in with a specific BT ID when I go straight into my router?

I actually found where I could make IP address changes and all, but this solution is so simple, if it is indeed very simple to do?! Also, thank you for the replies I've gotten so far, I appreciate the support with this situation.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

Re: Using a router connected to my Smart Hub 2 via the Ethernet port; any concerns I should be aware

I just assumed you wanted 2 separate wifi sources.

If you only want to use the Netgear, connect the ONT to the Netgear WAN port and configure the PPPoE login details with the generic username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT.

Factory reset the Netgear to give a clean start before configuring.

Message 13 of 27

The login for the router is 

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password - nothing required but if the router insists use BT. 

Ethernet from the ONT to the WAN port on the router. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 14 of 27

Thanks, guys. Will the login prompt come up when I try to connect to a browser for example?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

No, factory reset and then run the setup wizard and enter the PPPoE details when prompted.

Message 16 of 27

Sorry for being stupid; what setup wizard? How do I get it to happen?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

Sorry, can't help with that I'm not familiar with the Netgear, you need to refer to the user guide/manual. Most routers have an automated set up wizard, but if not, just enter the details in the PPPoE section. 

Message 18 of 27

No worries at all! Quick question (and thank you so much for all your help with this), if I want to buy a new third-party router, as long as it has a WAN port I can use it to plug directly into the BT fibre from the ONT? It can be used as the only modem/router if that's the case?

EDIT:  I've realised, the ONT is the modem itself! That answers my question now, I can just plug directly into any router.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

Yes.

You don't need a modem/router, just a pure router. The ONT is the modem.

Just bear in mind, as @stevebrass  pointed out, if you have/use Digital Voice, third party routers won't provide the capability to use it. It can only be used with the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

Yes, sorry! You replied as I was editing. I did some research and realised that the ONT was the modem itself. Thank you so much for all your help with this. Happy holidays!

0 Ratings