cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

What constitutes bad quality of service?

So BT loves to advertise faster and faster speeds, but what if the service is unstable?

How do you quantify it?

BT certainly knows how often everyones broadband is out of service and how long for.

Can they get away with charging more and more money for a service that gets worse and worse?

Given the reliance on Zoom and the huge increase in streaming services, isn't service consistancy more important than peak speed?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: What constitutes bad quality of service?

Sigh, as explained elsewhere, the problem isn't generic. Unfortunately a tiny percentage of the customer base have a problem with their line which is sometimes difficult to diagnose. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@licquoricewrote:

Sigh, as explained elsewhere, the problem isn't generic. Unfortunately a tiny percentage of the customer base have a problem with their line which is sometimes difficult to diagnose. 

Sigh, as explained elsewhere, this issue just goes on and on and EVERYONE suffers it.

BT doesn't appear to have to supply a consistent service.

Sigh, again, just look at all the posts about line drops.

Sign, everyone in our area suffers poor service from BT. Sadly, sigh, there are limited options for going elsewhere here. Sigh.

Sigh.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Personally we've been with BT 6 years. We have rock solid 160mbps that doesn't fluctuate by more than 10%... In 6 years ours internet has never once failed and we've had one issue with our Youview box that was remedied within an hour by one of the mods and it wasn't even a service affecting issue... I was just unhappy with a certain aspect of the boxes performance. For us, BT have been nothing short of outstanding..  I cannot sing their praises high enough and all of the BT team that man this forum are an absolute credit to the company... 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@NigelB72wrote:

Personally we've been with BT 6 years. We have rock solid 160mbps that doesn't fluctuate by more than 10%... In 6 years ours internet has never once failed and we've had one issue with our Youview box that was remedied within an hour by one of the mods and it wasn't even a service affecting issue... I was just unhappy with a certain aspect of the boxes performance. For us, BT have been nothing short of outstanding..  I cannot sing their praises high enough and all of the BT team that man this forum are an absolute credit to the company... 

Good for you! Very helpful.

Our service has been variable. Tonight for example, 6 line drops. Tomorrow will probably be better...

Numerious engineer visits.

My question still stands. How is BT's quality of service regulated?

I have been told by call centre operatives that 5 drops per day is normal service.

If our electric or gas or water was this bad, it would be classed as a serious issue. Broadband? Well just keep paying for **bleep** service. BT sucks big time and the lack of competition in our area means we're stuck with it.

In the meantime, I'll just register yet another noise on the line fault and the engineer will come and change the socket and around we go...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Like @NigelB72 I  have a good stable connection and the normal reasons for my connection dropping are power cut, firmware update or manual reset so sigh everyone doesn't have line stability problems   By the very nature of forums only people who are having problems post on forums and not customers who have a good connection without problems

Can you post the full stats from your hub not just abbreviated version  is there any noise on quiet line test? 

Can you post results from dslchecker to show expected connection speed range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

For those who may try to help this is a previous thread from the OP which will give some back ground history.

Re: line drops - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I’m a little puzzled about your claim that you are ‘stuck’ with BT, even in areas where there is no alternative to Openreach , there are alternatives to BT, if you are conflating BT and OR you shouldn’t.
If your provider is BT , and there is an underlying issue with your service that’s on OR network or kit, then obviously your provider is responsible for your service and should keep reporting the issue to OR, if you feel that isn’t proving to be satisfactory , there are dozens of alternatives to BT that use OR....many that do conflate BT and OR are  not even BT customers and appear on this BT customer forum, when their provider is someone else , so just for clarity, are you a BT Consumer customer ?
FWIW, I  have had years or excellent service from BT, I dare say that the silent majority do, those with issues , quite understandably are most likely to publicly complain,  but I doubt BT service is any worse than any other provider.

0 Ratings