cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

When Was Dolby Atmos first Broadcast on BT Sport?

I've had to come here as dealing with BT on the phone is like pulling teeth!

Can anyone tell me when Dolby Atmos was first broadcast on BT Sport?

And what platforms was it available on?  ie BTTVBox, BT App, Android TV etc etc

Does the BTTV 4K Box output Dolby Atmos if the match is broadcast in Dolby Atmos,  watching on BT Ultimate channel?

If a match is broadcast in Atmos and I'm watching on the 4K box on BT ultimate channel would the 4K box output as Stereo, DD+5.1 or  Atmos? Surround is turned on on the 4K Box and TV is set to passthrough. Using a Sonos Arc so I can see on the Sonos app what audio codec is being output.  All other channels/apps on my TV work as advertised including Dolby Atmos.

Also when did the BT Pro Box come out?

Is there a way to retrospectively find out what matches in the past were broadcast in Atmos?

A lot of these questions can supposedly be answered on the BT website but what it says and what is happening are two different things, hence all the questions.

I'm being told a load of nonsense on the phone so would be great to get some definitive answers on this.

Cheers

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Re: When Was Dolby Atmos first Broadcast on BT Sport?

I can see from this thread that "more" platforms were added around 2020

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/Dolby-Atmos-on-BT-Sport-Ultimate-New-pla...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

The first question I'd have to ask is - why all the questions about the history of Atmos? You can answer most of those questions with a Google search though (2017 on set top box, 2020 in apps).

The 2 most recent boxes support Atmos, and will output Atmos from BT Sport Ultimate if the current programme has it, and if the box is configured in surround sound mode and is connected to suitable equipment.

There's no reliable way to find out retrospectively what was and wasn't in Atmos.

Is there a specific issue you're trying to resolve?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 36

Hi @DarrenDev 

Thanks for your reply.

When you say the most 2 recent boxes, what are those boxes? Is the 4K box one of them?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 36

Yes. The 4K box supports Atmos if it is being broadcast

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

@NigelB72 and @DarrenDev 

Having looked at some of your posting history, I think I would be right in saying you know what you are talking about.

My reason for asking these questions is because I recently complained that matches that are advertised as being broadcast in Dolby Atmos are not being broadcast in Atmos (or the Atmos signal is not getting to me!)

I have tried to find the answer to this through 4 different calls/chats and eventually complaints including a final resolution complaint adviser calling me this afternoon and insisting that a 4K box does not output Dolby Atmos. I knew this wasn't true and when I implied the caller didn't know what they were talking about I was told in no uncertain terms that I was wrong and would have to purchase (OK it's free but £30 connection, connection for what by the way? I'll be the one plugging it in, I'm sure ZERO happens to warrant the connection fee) a Pro box to enjoy Dolby Atmos. This is the fourth time I've had people upselling me product that I do not need. I put this in my complaint, which I now intend to take to the ombudsman.

I can see on these boards many people complaining that matches are not broadcast in Atmos when they are advertised as being. With nothing pointing to exceptions about the various problems on various platforms. It's only through reading these boards I'm able prove this. When I told my complaint handler I could point to a dozen threads on this forum pointing to similar issues she refused to accept it as proof.

When I told her that ALL early kick off matches on Ultimate are advertised as being broadcast in Atmos she said "..only some matches are broadcast in surround"

This is the reason for all my questions.

I can accept that occasionally their might be broadcast or platform problems but I can't accept being constantly upsold kit I don't need, intentional wrong information and especially by a complaint handler absolutely zero grasp of the product they are dealing with.

Sorry for the rant, but the wasted hours with BT is totally avoidable if people just own their mistakes, something I've NEVER experienced with any member of BT I've had to deal with.

It seems the people on the  boards are cut from a different cloth, and I can see a totally different attitude here, its as if you work for a different company 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 36

I was also told by the complaint handler that Atmos has only been broadccast since the Pro box came out.

That's why I was asking about the date the Pro Box was released.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 36

Naaa Atmos has been around for a while now. Not all games on Ultimate are in Atmos though but most are. Jake and the gang will normally say during the build-up if it is. 

Tbh I haven't even got surround sound at home because it's too much hassle sitting in the right spot and it'd probably drive the car bonkers 🤣

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 36

A very frustrating situation @RichieT but also one that's very difficult to resolve.

Do you have Netflix?  If so, does the Netflix app on your box show Atmos as available? Does your Amp then also show it playing Atmos?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

@DarrenDev 

@I don't have Netflix but I do have Amazon Prime and Apple TV+

Amazon Prime on the BT4K Box and on on my LGTV app show the audio codec with the shows info. No show has higher than 5.1, this is confirmed by my Sonos app when playing. My Nvidia Shield playing Amazon Prime shows no audio codec info with the shows but when played (Jack Ryan S02 as a test) the Sonos app displays Dolby Atmos.

Apple TV+ on my LGTV and the Nvidia Shield both show Atmos and this is confirmed when playing the show on the Sonos app.

0 Ratings