cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

full fibre

ive had my full fibre 500 for 11 days my speed is different everytime from 150mbps to 550mbps all the way up to 1.1gbps i have 3 days to cancel my contract and i will  probably end up doing that i have rang  and spoke today no idea whats wrong been told they are going to watch my speed for the next 3 days which is strange as i wont be able to cancel if no improvement also when i go into my router its says my connection is External (FTTX) even guy on phone never knew what it meant any help would be really apricated 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: full fibre

How are you doing the speed tests? Wired? And via what speedchecker? 

The External (FTTX) on the Smart Hub basically means you are connected to the Optical Network Termination Unit via the WAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Wired connection using fast.com ookala 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@kennyt 

Your download speed will vary, depending on how many other customers are using your shared fibre connection. Your service is contended, you do not get exclusive use.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

shared fibre connection contended was never told any of this 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@kennyt wrote:

shared fibre connection contended was never told any of this 

All connections are contended, unless you are a BT Business user and pay thousands of pounds for your own link. You will not find a residential provider who offers an un-contended service.

There is not enough backhaul capacity for every customer to get the full speed all of the time. Also, by using an external speed testing site, you would be affected by the amount of traffic on the Internet.

The details of the backhaul connection has been posted before on this forum, and also the number of users on that connection.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

There is no ISP that offers a residential uncontended connection. Openreach FTTP is 2.5Gb download and 1.2Gb upload shared with up to 32 users.

Message 8 of 15

Speeds up to 900Mb,all the time
With Full Fibre (also known as FTTP) there’s no copper cable or sharing with your neighbours. Just speeds up to 25x faster than our standard fibre.

i dont understand this is what they say no sharing im confused
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@kennyt wrote:
Speeds up to 900Mb,all the time

No confusion, the backhaul from the 32 node splitter is 2.5Gbs  or, in some newer installations, 10Gbs. Up to are the key words.

As others have said, all domestic broadband is contended.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

so speed test with fast.com 

500mbps

then

600mbps 

then 

470mbps      these tests were don within minutes of each other

0 Ratings