Message 11 of 21

Re: Random disconnects on a new connection

@licquorice 

I understand that, so what is "Noise Margin" measuring if not that?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Any one have any idea why the OP has deleted all his posts?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

@licquorice 

I'm not sure if my previous post made sense. I'm asking what the difference between Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR), and SNR Margin is please?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm#SNR

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 15 of 21

@gg30340 wrote:

Nope

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

@licquorice wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Nope

This is the content of the last post by @SR71BB  Deleting the posts the way its been done, seems to have upset the forum index, as there are posts with no subject.

"Another test.

Jitter this time 26.4 ms

Maybe I should delete this thread and restart it but put greater emphasis on the jitter.

https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/202147-72090-1654.html 

Keith_Beddoe_0-1638132989498.png

"

Posted with device: google_chrome_96

Message 17 of 21

With all due respect @@Keith_Beddoe I'm not sure it is right to repost items that somebody has decided they no longer wish to be publicly viewable.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

@imjolly 

Thanks for the link - very interesting.

My SmartHub2 currently says that my downstream Noise Margin is 10.9dB. I have previously been advised on these forums that my cabinet is of a type that only requires 3dB, would that have been 3dB SNR or Noise Margin? ie could I lose nearly 11dB and still maintain my connection speed, or only 7.9dB before there would be problems?

Cabinet 50 on Bradwell Abbey exchange.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

It is noise margin the routers show not SNR.   The normal noise margin is 6db but should you have an attainable speed in excess of the say 80mb max connection speed then the noise margin will be higher than the norm. The bigger the difference between attainable and the actual the higher the noise margin .

The DLM can if on Huawei cab activate G.INP reducing noise margin down to 3db giving an increase in connection speed.  Obviously not higher than your package max 55/80mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 20 of 21

Margin.

You have to look at everything together, you can't look at one parameter in isolation.

Target noise margin is 3dB for most cabinets but if you are very close to the cabinet or have a capped service, noise margin will be high. 

0 Ratings