cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Alternative to BT Smart Hub and BT Smart Hub 2

Hi 
Help please!

We have aluminium and copper wire from cabinet to the house. Over the past 3-4 weeks we are finding that both the upload and download speeds vary from 4Mg -16Mg download to 0.01 - 1.8/2 upload. (jitter and ping levels vary alongside the download speeds - lower speed, much higher ping and jitter). Previously these were more stable around 15/16Mg. There is little difference whether we connect directly to the router via ethernet cable or wifi. 

At the moment, we have a BT Smart Hub 2 as we also need wifi connectivity. BT have been out and recommended the BT Smart Hub would provide a more stable connection, but then we cannot connect the wifi discs (which we need to have). The BT engineer also confirmed that there is no interference that he could find causing this to happen. The wifi itself virtually matches the download that we are getting from the router whatever that might be at the time. 

OpenReach have also been out several times, they replaced some of the cable, fixed some errors on the line and confirmed a stable connection of around 18Mgps to the router, regardless of whether it is the Smart Hub 2 or Smart Hub connected. 

OpenReach advice is that the routers are causing the variation in connectivity. 

We have been with Sky for 5 years (when our download was between 18- 22Mg) and with BT for the last year but have encountered real connectivity issues in the last few weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what we can try? What other routers might be better and  can also have wifi connection? Any help would be really appreciated, thanks. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Alternative to BT Smart Hub and BT Smart Hub 2

You need to identify if the issue is wireless connectivity only. To do that connect as may devices that can be directly connected to the router as possible. Confirm that they work as expected. If you have a wireless only problem, then I would keep the SH2 and add a non BT wireless point to your network. I use a repurposed router to do this as I find SH2 wireless performance unreliable but otherwise it’s fine.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Alternative to BT Smart Hub and BT Smart Hub 2

Hi 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I have tested one laptop wirelessly and with an ethernet cable and there is minimum difference between the two e.g. 14.6 (wifi) vs 14.4 (connected via ethernet to router). 

However, I have not tested that with more than one device, so will try that and see if it makes a difference. 

Would you have a suggestion for a non-BT wireless to use? 

Thanks again. 

0 Ratings