cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Miniconnector included ethernet cable

Hi, I have just received some BT Miniconnector Powerline 1Gigabit adaptors. ( Working Fine )

They come with 1m ethernet cables, which are fine but there is no indication on them or in the instructions, or in advertised media of the speed (Cat) rating. I am loathe to use them if they are only the old Cat 5 100 MHz type (which they look very like ).

Any one know what the rating is of these please ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Miniconnector included ethernet cable

Highly unlikely they would supply cat 5 cables with gigabit adapters.  They take enough stick over performance as it is without digging holes for themselves.

More likely to be 5e which would be adequate for the job.  If you look closely at the plugs and all 8 wires are connected they will be 5e.  The 100Mb/s cables were only 4 wires.

Ultimately, you could plug them in and see how they perform.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@mikeisathome 

As stated they're at least Cat5e but don't expect gigabit speeds as the speed is determined by the quality of your mains wiring so maybe 300mbps or so. Long time since I've used them so perhaps these days they're better than that.

The other thing to be aware of is if you have a split load consumer unit you cannot connect mains circuits on separate halves of the CU.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thanks Stuart, yes they check out as GHz capable alright .
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Yes Tim, checked them out OK now, @ circa 1gHz transmission with my router
0 Ratings