cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Smart Hub 1 Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode was it added in firmware update

Go to solution

BT have added a WAN/LAN toggle to the Smart hub 2 so that you can use port 4 with FTTP in WAN mode or as a normal port in LAN mode. The toggle is called Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode. Was this feature also added to the Smart hub 1 by firmware update? 

I am annoyed by the Smart Hub 2's inability to split the 2.4ghz and 5GHZ Wi-Fi SSID and would like to return to the Smart Hub 1 if at all possible.

The issue would be that even if they did update that in firmware my Smart Hub 1 is on an old firmware. Is it possible to update the firmware if I only have FTTP with no WAN port currently. Would the firmware update if I set the Smart Hub 1 in bridge mode and left it connected to the internet for a few days or does it need to be acting as a modem?

I am currently using my Pi4 with RaspAP in bridged AP mode to create a separate 2.4Ghz SSID so all my smart devices can connect which works really well, but the range is not as good as the router would be. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Smart Hub 1 Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode was it added in firmware update

Go to solution

No, but there are Full Fibre versions of the original Smart Hub available through the likes of Ebay. You can confirm by a red WAN designation on LAN4. But these won't work with Digital Voice so if you have that, then you have to use the SH2.

rbz5416_0-1665650710695.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@sideeffect  No residential BT hub has a bridge mode.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice  

You can turn it into a switch/Wifi extender which is pretty much the same thing. I have used it like this at times with the Smart hub 2 being the modem, DHCP server and DNS server and the Smart Hub 1 being a gigabit switch and 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi.

Using a BT Home Hub as a Wireless Extender (owenkelly.uk)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@sideeffect wrote:

@licquorice  

You can turn it into a switch/Wifi extender where no NAT or IP routing is being performed which is pretty much the same thing.

It's nothing like the same thing.

Using it as a wifi extender isn't the same as using it as a modem, i.e the first device connected to line. You are connecting to a LAN port not DSL port.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, sorry I didn't mean bridge mode where it acts as a modem, I meant switch mode where it still has internet access provided from another router. It doesn't matter though because if the firmware was not updated to support WAN mode it doesn't matter if I can update it or not.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, I was hoping not to spend additional money.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

If you just want to connect it to another router, you don't need a WAN port. Just connect the 2 routers LAN port to LAN port to use it as a wap

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I wanted to replace my Smart Hub 2 with the Smart Hub 1. I don't want to run both at the same time 24/7.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Ah, ok.

0 Ratings