cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 91 of 93

Re: Smart hub plus

@FIL903  if you need the higher performance WiFi you could just use a WiFi 6 or 7 Access Point and ignore or even turn off WiFi on the BT router. On our latest laptop we get 866Mb/s from the HH6 (SH1). 

0 Ratings
Message 92 of 93

I have CAD and drawing files that are held in cloud storage. They are at least 2GB in size each and so need ultrafast speeds.

I ended up pulling CAT6 cables through the old landline ducts in my house to the office and using a LAN port to connect the 2 rooms

0 Ratings
Message 93 of 93

Yes you absolutely can use a 3rd party router connected to the SH2. One way is to just use access point mode like above, but if you want to take advantage of all the features of your new 3rd party router:

1.) Connect your secondary router's WAN port via ethernet to one of the LAN ports of the SH2.

2.) Then make sure to turn off the DHCP, NAT, WiFi of the SH2. Give your secondary router a static IP, then put that IP in the DMZ of your SH2(To avoid any double natting issues), and you should be good to go.

3.) If you want IPV6 just make sure to enable "pass through(bridged)" mode on the IPV6 page of your secondary router.

(If you want to use your BT TV box over WiFi, make sure to get a router with IGMP snooping)

4.) Reboot them both for good measure and then everything should be working.

It's a little complicated to get set up, it took me 3 tries, and I even had to wipe the router and start over again because I messed up, but it's well worth it in the end. Now I have WiFi 6 and a DHCP server that won't start to choke after a while, and I get to keep Digital Voice working too, because the SH2 is still taking care of that! 😊

0 Ratings