cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: BT Smart Hub2 WiFi broadcasting without an SSID despite being turned off

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice

I am not necessarily disagreeing that it is the backhaul for the black discs, the issue I have is if someone wants to disable WiFI on purpose and opts out of or BT WiFi, then WiFi should be off Completely.

I have just set up a black disc as a test and as you have said the Disc can still join to the Hub as it uses the backhaul network.
Disc.JPG

However the Hub & Disc are completely useless because I have WiFI disabled, so the SSID on both radios is blank

Wifi Off.JPG

networks.jpg

I think that WiFi needs to be disabled when it is selected on the hub and BT WiFi is opted out of

1) To stop unnecessary WiFI interference at home and potentially in Business premises if they have another WiFI solution (unless someone can tell me the Business Smart Hub2 does disable it completely)
2) For Energy saving (Albeit small)

I'd appreciate any of the mods getting on board and adding any thoughts from a design point of view to say for example why this is, as it doesn't make any sense at present.

I am on FTTP with Digital Voice, so also have a BT DECT ATA connected for my own cordless handsets.
Moving to another router would break this.

Thanks All

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

PlusNet's HUB2 is based on the same router and has the same issue. If anyone from PlusNet stumbles across this thread (as I did) because you have the same issue, it is acknowledged by PlusNet here and is on their backlog to fix it.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @alandamore 

Thanks for link and it's great that PlusNet have acknowledged the issue.

I think I've put a reasonable case here as to why WiFi should be completely disabled when BT WiFi is opted out of but have had no such response from any of the mods.

I knew first line wouldn't be able to assist with such an issue and it's why I posted in this forum to hopefully get some similar respond to what you've had from PlusNet.

Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

It seems we have a resolution to this issue

It appears that my hub had a firmware update on 7th October 2022Yoz_0-1667085464311.png

With this update is the option to disable all WiFiYoz_1-1667085529688.png

Selecting the option to disable, provides warnings of devices that could be affectedYoz_2-1667085591297.png

I can confirm using the same WiFi scanner software I used previously, I no longer see the unnamed SSID.

So it took a while but thanks to BT for listening to their customers and providing this option

Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

Long shot, but does it now allow you to split the names on the two WiFi networks? That was another reason  for me reverting back to my HH5. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

No, it doesn't

Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

Annoying this one why following my new FTTP with Digital Voice install I've now ordered a PoE WiFi access point to allow me to disable the SH2 WiFi.

My other annoyance related to DNS/DHCP management I've got my pi-hole dealing with that now.

I know the arguments that this is a ISP supplied router and shouldn't expect much but given you are required to use it for DV unless you wish to double NAT its the bare minimum that should be offered IMO.

No matter I'll work around perhaps in the near future DV might be more widely adopted by the industry and offered on 3rd party devices similar how originally you were required to use Openreach’s modem for FTTC before more options opened up although in that case the OR modem was rock solid stable, and I always preferred a bridge style setup.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

DV is proprietary to BT and won't be offered by third party devices. Nothing stopping you using a third party VoIP provider rather than using BT's DV though.

Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

DV is a BT service though, so in all fairness I can understand why it is tied to their hub. There are other VoIP providers out there, who do allow you to use "off the shelf " VoIP devices.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

Granted I did not do enough research into DV offering before committing and I am tied into a contract period now but I will look into other VoIP options in the future. DV was only taken due to historic employer contractual requirements of alternative contact means by a landline (part funded). It is very quaint now and perhaps I should speak to our staff forum representativeto change terms to allow personal mobile use.

0 Ratings