cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Extender 600

I have three Broadband Extender 600s in use (for about 5 years with no issues). Now on one of them, fully plugged in to power and internet, all that happens is that the power light flashes on and off. Replacing it with one of the other units, the replacement works fine. So I assume that the unit has become faulty. Before I buy another I’d like to know if these units are known to be unreliable after a few years, and/or if this is a known repairable fault. Thank you.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Extender 600

I should add that pressing and holding the link button has absolutely no effect.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@psk 

Try the helpdesk, but I would suspect that its developed a fault within the transmitter/receiver module, which communicates over the mains wiring. It could have been damaged by a mains voltage surge, or it could be an internal power supply fault. It unlikely to be user repairable.

Product helpdesk information

If your product is within warranty:

By phone: 0808 100 6116

Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm

Saturday 9.00am to 2.00pm

By email: btconnectedhome@bt.com

If your product is out of warranty, please call the Technical Help and Support Desk on 0800 980 899

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Thank you. 

There have been no power surges.

The primary intent of my question was to find out if these units are known generally to be reliable, or to fail after some period of use - before I invest in replacement(s).

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I think they are similar to the Hotspot 600 units, and they get quite warm when in use, so its probably just a component failure, which is not to bad after five years. I doubt the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is going to be any better for a consumer grade product.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Sadly I fear that you are right although I disagree that a 5 year MTBF is acceptable for a device that cannot be cost effectively repaired. It’s a disgrace that consumers accept 5 years life as acceptable these days, despite all the very useful technological advancements. I have electronics devices over a century old that work, are still fit for purpose, useful every day and repairable (by me).
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I had a couple of the 600s and they didn't last much over 5 years. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thank you.

0 Ratings