cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Can I add BT whole home discs without notifying BT?

I currently use Google WiFi mesh but due to incompatibility issues I’m not getting the speeds I should be. I’ve seen people selling BT whole home disc and wondered if I could just buy them and swap it?

Do BT need to activate something to allow me? Or can I just literally pull google WiFi out and swap it? 

Do the access points have multiple Ethernet ports so they can be hard wired? I want to hard wire the access points for better speeds but I also want to add devices via Ethernet 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I add BT whole home discs without notifying BT?

@Jacobz 

If its the white whole home discs that are being sold, then you would need at least two of then, as one always has to be hard wired to your router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Yes there are two white discs being sold. Is it possible to have both hardwired? I currently have my google WiFi devices hardwired so Ethernet is already run around the house. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I believe they can be wired. Not sure how they would work as a mesh, so you may be best to ask the helpdesk once you get them.

Call them on 0808 100 6116 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm, Saturday 9am to 2pm) or drop them an email to: btconnectedhome@bt.com

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The number of discs that can be connected to the router depends on the variant of Wholehome discs they are, you can connect two of the Wholehome and mini Wholehome discs to the router but only one Premium Wholehome disc, the second would then need to be daisy chained from the first.

See BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs - Set-up and installation | BT Help 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If you already have Ethernet run through the house why not just buy a wireless access point and have it placed where you need it. Depending on the one you decide to purchase you can also have Ethernet ports to plug into.

Netgear do this one on Amazon for £60

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thank you for that information. Do you think that it would allow for network switches between access points? or does it have to be directly linked?

Google Wifi router and access points only have 2 ports so currently, with my Google wifi, I have them hardwired in the following order:

Router > Network switch 1 > Access point 1

Router > Network switch 1 > Network switch 2 > Access point 2

As the BT hub has multiple ethernet ports, I wont need a network switch between the router and access point 1 but my issue is adding access point 2. The link you provided gives me the impression there needs to be a direct connection between each access point which would require access point 1 to use both its ethernet ports. This would not only mean I would need to re-run ethernet cable around the house (not impossible but annoying) but would also not allow me to hardwire devices to access point 1.

Unless of course, you can use network switches in between.

0 Ratings