cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Complete Wi-Fi discs - think I own them!

Hi

I had complete Wi-Fi around late 2017 with two discs. Then more than two years ago I upgraded to Halo 2 and had another disc which is also well out of contract. I was under the impression that I owned the first 2 because I don’t remember anything in the original contract that said they had to be returned.

Due to changed circumstances I’m having to change my broadband package to BT Essentials and I’m being told I have to return all of them. 

Can anyone please tell me my rights here? BT customer service say I cannot even buy them as secondhand? How stupid is that! The problem is I really need them or something that will do the same job as the signal with just the Smart Hub 2 doesn’t go around the whole house.

Any help and suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Ian

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Complete Wi-Fi discs - think I own them!

@Hath100 

Those discs have always been loaned, you never own them, so if you do not return them, you will be charged £30 each I think.

Other equipment that was issued before December 2019, was not loaned.

Complete WiFi was only released in 2018.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Introducing-Complete-Wi-Fi-from-BT/td-p/1901302

Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the clarification. It’s a shame they won’t let me keep them for a modest charge.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

As @Keith_Beddoe has already suggested, you can simply hold on to them and stand the £30 per disc charge.

See the table towards the bottom of the page at How to return and recycle your BT equipment for free | BT Help

Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your response. 

However, I read the latest T’s & C’s which indicate that even if you pay the £30 they are still owned by BT and have to be returned. If done so within 2yrs they will refund the £30.

I don’t know what would happen after that.

Thanks again.

Regards

Ian

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

You can't return them if they have been lost 😉

Message 7 of 8

I assume you're referring to clause 17(e) of BT Terms and Conditions.

There's no mention of further charges or any kind of sanctions beyond that two year period and for that reason I interpret that as BT saying that you can never sell or dispose of the loaned equipment it in any fashion other than by returning it to them for for disposal by licenced contractors. 

So if you keep the equipment for (say) 5 years, you will be charged a one-off £30 per disc and then you can still return it to them for disposal at the end of the 5 years.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I don't know when things changed but when I upgraded to Halo 2 with 3 discs the salesman made a point of saying that now both the Smarthub 2 and discs are owned by BT they would need to be returned if I cancelled the BT broadband previously I had bought a smarthub2 and one black disc from the BT shop.

As the hub2 is locked to BT and the black discs will only work with it  I can't see the problem and it does have the advantage that any faults on the hub or discs are BT's problem as they own them.

0 Ratings