cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

DLNA access with AX6600

Been using AC2600 for a few years and just swapping to AX6600 setup.

I don't appear to be able to see the DLNA services from home box any longer. I can reach the box admin page without issue via WiFi so know it is visible to the Whole Home Premium WiFi.

Are there some new settings I need to tweak to allow DLNA traffic now?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: DLNA access with AX6600

DLAN works between servers and clients, there is no need for any interventions by the router.  So the solution is a simple as check that your clients all have the correct network settings before powering off your server devices and client devices, wait about 20 seconds and then power the servers back on.  When the servers are on then power up the clients.  You may still need to wait a little while, but that's all you should need to do.

Yes in this case it really is a turn it off, turn it on solution!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Think it is the "Should" bit that is tripping up. DLNA server is on wired network, clients are on WiFi. Same IP range and subnet mask, is there anything that prevents the broadcast from Wired to WiFi in the settings?

I downloaded Universal Media Server onto a junk laptop and enabled in on WiFi. Straight away the TV ( Client ) saw it was able to browse content, but still doesn't see the proper media server.

Is it a case of going back to the AC2600 setup which worked but means more discs needed ( range appears much better on the ax6600 )

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

In addition, just turned back on the wifi in virgin router, 2ghz only, then connected tv to that network and DLNA servers almost immediately become visible, switch back to ax6600 , they disappear...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

It sounds as though the router is performing band isolation.  Normally broadcast traffic is retransmitted across multiple WiFi bands as well as the wired network, but that doesn't seem to be happening here.  Sometimes this happens because there are settings that sound as though they'll offer better security and so we users enable them without realising the full consequences!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

That is what I suspect but is knowing what of the default settings need to be changed.

Guessing at an option in Advanced Settings area

WPA3 is on

Smart Topology - On Default

Status Monitor - On

Backhaul - 80Ghz [can't imagine its this as connected to main disc in any case]

Performance Network - Off [ only 1 disc via ethernet]

Compatibility Mode - Off [ ... Suspect but just On or Off!! ]

2.4Ghz device Setup - Off [ Devices are connected just not seeing so can't see it being this ]

So what does "Compatibility Mode" turn on and Off??

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

We're into the realm of the odd now!  So what is the brand and model of the router, and the brand and model of the "home box".  If it's a home-built box, there's the possibility that despite having changed the network settings it's not changed the broadcast IP to be within the correct subnet.

*I'm assuming that the router is pretty much in default configuration, with just the BT username and pass setup for your connection.  Personally, I'd change from WPA3 to WPA2, but that's not going to affect DLNA and is a whole other thread!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

QNAP , and upto date with patches/firmware etc for the Media server

Samsung TV, and tried with VLC as well on XBOX and Android

Virgin Media Router ( Hub 4 ), it is NOT in Modem mode, it provides DHCP etc

NetGear Switch hung off the Router where all ETH  devices are connected

The ax6600 is essentially in out of the box config , just changed the SSID to match what I wanted and reduced the LED level ( not that it matters! ) 

All this worked pretty much "normally" with the ac2600

Sent the diagnostics info to BT support , see if they can provide any more info too. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

At this moment it seems that the culprit must be the AX6600 discs not correctly handling broadcast packets on 192.168.1.255.  I'm guessing it is at the boundary of their dedicated backhaul band and the user-accessible bands.  That has implications for all kinds of issues if it's correct, but I'm stumped about what else it can be!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

You mention 192.168.1.255, home network is using 192.168.0. range , start is 192.168.0.10 for DHCP and limited to 243 CPE's - so that should ensure that 254 and 255 are not allocated out , and 255 can be used for broadcast as it is meant to be - I hope....

0 Ratings