cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Keep Youview Box

Go to solution

Hi There

We have cancelled our bt broadband and TV package but wish to keep the Youview box. If we pay the non return fine (£115 I think) will we still be pursued to return it or will that be the end of the matter, I have seen some horror stories were debts have been sold on and pursued in these types of cases but I suppose if we pay the fine then that should be it? We still have use for it and my Mom would like to keep her recordings. BT were a bit militant over the phone about returning it, it is a number of years old now but we renewed after 2019 which I believe means it is technically their property. We are happy to purchase it but no option seems available. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Keep Youview Box

Go to solution

If you don't return it then BT will charge you, it is as simple as that.

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/how-to-return-and-recycle-your-bt-broadband-hub-and-bt-tv-box-fo

You can also change your mind and actually return it after being charged.

However, please note that if you have any recordings that were done with subscription channels, then these recordings will not be playable once broadband is ended.

See old forum thread here:

Watching using BT box after cancellation

Also, depending on model, if you use an aerial then you should be able to still record Freeview channels, if you are using it without an aerial, you need some form of subscription to access the IPTV channels, even the Freeview based ones.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Why not buy a new one from a high street outlet? I am facing that decision when my current subscription ends. My present Youview box is made by Humax which are readily available to buy under their name.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Bear in mind that the charge is, in essence, a fine for not returning the kit and that the box will technically remain the property of BT

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@Milb6 

It's my belief that BT cannot change the status of a piece of equipment on a renewal.

You received the box prior to 2019 so it was provided to you on the basis of it's yours after the initial contract period and that cannot be changed by a subsequent change to the T&Cs.

Just think of it if you hadn't renewed it was yours and then suppose you took out another TV contract at a later date you'd be provided with a new box under the new T&Cs .

Edit:

I doubt that when you renewed after 2019 that you were advised on the new T&Cs and the implications of those changes and if not then BT have no case to charge you to keep the box.

Another edit:

The new rules are:-

"We made some changes to our Terms & Conditions on 13 December 2019, meaning that BT Hubs and TV boxes are being loaned to you. So if you joined us or have renewed your contract on or after this date, you’ll be charged for not returning equipment to us."

It means after that date any new equipment is on loan and it doesn't state clearly that this applies to previously supplied equipment. It something was given to you previously it can't suddenly be on loan to you.

This is a situation that really annoys me (as you might gather) and many users have been wrongly required to return the TV boxes because the "guides" as they are now called don't know the real rules that apply.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

It's been confirmed by Moderators that any kit received prior to the T&C change in December 2019 is your property & not BT's. Of course  that doesn't stop BT from trying to blackmail into returning it under the threat of charging a penalty, & indeed doing so.

I agree with @TimCurtis that the current wording is extremely poor (no surprise there then) as they imply that recontracting after December 2019 somehow returns ownership to them. Prior to the change you could have sold/given away/binned the kit, so to suddenly claim it's now BT's property again is ridiculous.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

I think the relevant part is where it says ""We made some changes to our Terms & Conditions on 13 December 2019, meaning that BT Hubs and TV boxes are being loaned to you. "

This seems ( to me at least) to imply that if you received equipment prior to 2019, which was then replaced for whatever reason post 2019, that it is supplied on an on-loan basis

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@Milb6 

Manhattan are just about to launch their new Freeview Play boxes and Freely devices will start to drop over the next 12 months (Freeview over broadband), I wouldn’t pay BT a penny personally.

A quick Google gives me plenty of 500gb Humax YouView boxes to buy secondhand which would tie you over for £50 or less.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

If you received the box prior to December 2019 the box is yours to keep even if you have since renewed your package. If however you have had the box replaced due to a fault or upgraded to a newer box you will need to send it back or possibly be charged for it.

BT have a legal obligation to "offer" to recycle the equipment and the will do this for free.

If you do decide to keep the box and are then charged for it post back and further assistance will be given regarding that.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks all some really interesting information here!

I have had a look around to buy something similar but it seems that nothing can be brought brand new for under £250. Although the new boxes mentioned to be coming out may be cheaper than that. To me it makes sense just to pay BT the £115 if that is the charge and keep what we have. 

I understand used ones can be brought from e bay but I have concerns around devices bought second hand in terms of longevity and also around people having tinkered or added malicious software. 

The part that really concerns me is as somebody has mentioned the box is still technically BTs property even if we pay the fine, Im concerned that we will just get chased up with other endless fines and these could also potentially be passed on to a debt management company - all over a you view box which is at this point a few years old and Im sure worth very little to BT!!! 

I cant say for certain when we received the box it may of actually been after 2019 but would agree that the policy on this is all over the place from my point of view. We are going to phone up BT again on Monday and try and get some sense out of them, honestly Im so glad to of cancelled they have been a nightmare throughout the whole process.