cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: Smart hub 2 and assigned IP address not working

It’s a couple of Wemo plugs and some echo devices and a Apple Watch. . These devices can not have the ip set at hardware level like say a pc or Xbox. 

I have changed and saved the new IP address and left it for 2 days and it still does not use the new ip  I have even unplugged the device and plugged it back in and still it will not change

I would not have to unplug the device and then change the ip of that device then let the lease  expire  and then plug it back In ?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

Possibly so yes.

Disconnect one of those devices from the network and wait until the network manager shows it as being offline, this could take some time and you might want to expediate this process by restarting the hub.

Then make sure that the address you want to allocate is within the DHCP pool and allocate it to the device on the hub remembering to answer Yes to the always allocate this address question and of course Save. Then click refresh and check that the changes really have been saved and turn the device back on.

If that doesn't work then I have no idea what's going on.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

Ok I sort of got this working,

I am using Whole Home Wi-Fi discs the white versions, and i think what is happening is the discs must be keeping the ip address meaning that when i change and save the Ip address on the router they don't change because the discs must hold the old ip address.  

so i have to unplug the devices on the wifi, but the Pc browser for the discs does not refresh the devices as it keeps a hold of them you can only refresh the discs by restarting them. once restarted the devices are no longer on the wi-fi you then can go back to the router select each device and change the ip address and save it.  it will not change until the devices are back onto the discs wi-fi network 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

also, i have a fire stick i have set this devices ip on the device to .20 wi-fi and reads .20 on the router but on the wi-fi discs it reads .80 why is that if the device is set to a static ip and the router reads it right but not the wi-fi discs., i have a couple device that do this and i don't know why.

the devices i managed to change the echo dots from .90 to .120 do read the same on the router and discs as .120 as it should but i don't understand why some devices are not the same ip address on the router and the discs  

and the odd device is right on the router but says unknown Ip on the wi-fi discs. i just don't understand why some devices have different ip address to the router when the router is showing the correct Ip address but the wi-fi discs are not and these devices are connected to the discs.

anyone know why

these devices are such a mess it should not be this difficult to do, the funny thing is these devices are supposed to be user friendly and there prob worse than other router manufactures. I remember the days of using bought routers and it was never this hard.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

it seems that looking into this more the devices that i have set a static ip address which i set at the hardware end and gave them static ips which uses the wi-fi seems to read the ip correctly on the router but not the wi-fi discs ?

what's going on there. tried resetting both hub and wi-fi discs and it's still the same 

eg.

static ip address set at the device which is a wifi device to 192.168.1.100

router reads it as 192.168.1.100 static correct

wi-fi discs read it as 192.168.1.82 ?????????????

now on a device where the router uses DHCP and i set the ip using the routers settings

DCHP set at the router and using my own ip saved  which is a wifi device to 192.168.1.200

router reads it as 192.168.1.200 static correct

wi-fi discs read it as 192.168.1.200 static correct

i just dont get why a static device set iin its own hardware  has two different ip from the router and wh-fi discs.

the wifi is turned off on my router as i use the wifi discs 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

Do the Wholehome Discs rely solely on the hub DHCP server or do they have their own built-in server?

The reason I ask is because you don't want two DHCP servers running on one network as you won't know which one of them is allocating an address to which device and that could possibly cause the problem you're having.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

i thought this but seems not

The point is that the BT Whole Home discs don't have their own DHCP server, so it relies on the DHCP pool created by the router/hub

I don't know what is going on.  I have set a static ip in a device e.g. a iPhone. but the Ip is correct in the router which i set in the iPhone but the wi-fi discs that the iPhone connects to does not its different and i don't understand why.

link

BT Whole Home Premium - Master Disk Red Issue - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

@meridius 

You mention the iPhone , presumably you have Private Addressing turned OFF for your home wifi networks.

Message 19 of 27

yep, turned off as this would change the mac address, happens with fire stick as well

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

Different IP addresses for the same device could be because they've connected to different bands? I don't use a BT Hub but on my Fritzbox, a device is assigned one IP address when it connects to 2.4GHz & another when it connects to 5GHz.

0 Ratings