cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

USB Printer Connection To BT Hub 2

Hi all,

I have been trying to connect my Canon Inkjet printer via a USB cable to the USB port on the back of the BT Hub, I can see the printer is connected to the hub via its software, but it shows offline on my PC, the printer does not have wireless capabilities hence the need for connection via USB.

I have tried to add a new printer but nothing showing there either, from what I have read on this forum seemingly the hub can not be configured as a printer server, yet after spending 2 hours on BT's chat t!! They said categorically you can connect a printer via the USB port, but they wanted to send a technician out at £40 to configure it!

Basically, will it work or not? I wasn’t confident on the knowledge of the BT representative.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: USB Printer Connection To BT Hub 2

@Simon12148 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

The USB port on the back of the home hub, only supports USB flash drives, or disk drives. It does not support printers.

You will have to plug the printer into a USB port on your computer, or use a print server which has a USB port. That however may not support all printer functions.

Message 3 of 11

As the title suggests, this is a very old article and it may not work but you may wish to try it regardless.

Use your BT Home Hub - Use it as a print server - Windows Vista guide (rsw.io)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Thanks Keith, the BT support were adamant it should work.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Les, I will take a look.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Why not simply connect it to one of your PC`s USB ports?

Message 7 of 11

Les, I work from home and I have two professional laser multi-function printers which are networked and work fine from any device, but they are not great for photo printing, so I bought a small Cannon Photo Inkjet printer, it works fine when connected via USB to the laptop which the family use, its just I have a small table with the router and phone on and just wanted to place the printer there too, and print wirelessly from the laptop without having wires dangling out of it, if that makes sense.

Just trying to keep things tidy.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Then a tiny print server may be the answer, as it plugs into an Ethernet port on the home hu, and presents a USB interface? It would also allow the printer to be shared by all devices.

USB 2.0 Network Print Server, WAVLINK LAN Print Share Server for

USB Printers, LPR Print Protocol 10/100Mbps Computer Print Server Adapter for Windows, MacOS 10.7 or above, No Driver Required

£32.99

Message 9 of 11

Cheers Les, just looking at them now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Why do you keep calling Keith Les?

0 Ratings