cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

What equipment do BT think I have?

I've searched the forum and can't find an answer to this question as it all seems to be about people wanting to return equipment (and I'm aware of the December 2019 ruling for this aspect)

My question is:-
What equipment do BT think I currently have?
I've been through all options on my account and can't find anywhere that indicates what BT think I have.
I would have thought it would be fairly prominent nowadays, especially with the electronic waste recovery rules but no, it only tells me I have Broadband  Fibre 2 / landline and mobile sim. 
As far as I am aware, BT last sent me a Home Hub 3 around 2016. But it would be nice to know for sure as if I venture into full fibre and Digital Voice, I don't want to end up having an argument about what they think I should send back or end up getting charged for something I don't have. 

So does anyone know how to find what equipment BT think I have in the account information, or is it another ring the "helpdesk" and hope they eventually answer and can find what I need.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: What equipment do BT think I have?

I can't remember anywhere in MYBT that shows equipment I have however if you have only old equipment prior to december 2019 then BT are basically offering to recycle your old equipment but that is your choice.  Normally if you had equipment post december 2019 BT would ask for that specifically to be returned

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi imjolly
Thanks for reply.

As you say here "..Normally if you had equipment post December 2019 BT would ask for that specifically to be returned.." which infers that BT do know what they think they sent you and so shouldn't this be available easily to customers as it is their personal information (what with GDPR etc).

In my case I recycled the HH3 as a hard wired repeater and have a privately purchased router as my main.

My main reason for asking is I'd like to know where I stand before embarking on an upgrade to FTTP / DV and don't want to end up on a new contract and having an argument about what BT think I should be sending back.
I'm old fashioned like that and like to know where I stand before paying for things.

I appreciate in todays fast consumer world, I'm probably considered a dinosaur, but its my money and as BT use 24 month contracts with in contract rises, I feel I need to have a clear starting point so I don't end up with up front charges for something I dispute.

I guess I'll have to brave the helpdesk and see if I can get them to tell me what BT thinks as it seems MY BT isn't fully able to answer my question.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

if you moved to DV then you must use the BT SH2 as first connection to the ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

If you have had nothing since 2016 there is nothing to send back. Don't understand  why you think there should be when you have said yourself you understand the 2019 cutoff.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hmm..if only it was that straightforward.
I was on a BT trial a little while back (post 2019 ) and the mess that caused on my account you really couldn't make up.
Eventually sorted by the trial team after multiple phone calls to indicate I was being asked to return things I'd never had and would be charged for.
But as my contract renewal date is now all messed up, I thought it wise to try and confirm what BT thinks I have before venturing into FTTP / DV. 

I'll try the helpdesk and see if they know but if not, I'll stay where I am on FTTC and wait for BT to chase me to switch and ask at that point.
I don't need FTTP but as BT want everyone on DV, then it will come with that as my street is enabled and apparently you get FTTP'd with DV, if it is available and regardless of whether you want FTTP or not.
I'd prefer to stay FTTC to be honest as it seems the FTTP cabling will look rather poor (I have another thread querying this) but I do realise I eventually won't have choice if I want a physical line coming in. 

It really shouldn't be this hard to find out what a company thinks you have of their equipment, especially when it can end up in a bun fight  and wrongful charging.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Worrying about it now seems to me to be a bit premature and in any event you either have the equipment or you don't so you will either be able to send it back or you won't. Knowing what they say you have won't change that.

Surely the simple answer is do an inventory of what BT equipment you do have. Don't throw any of it away and if you ever leave BT or in the event that they ask for equipment back they will tell you what the want back and you can see what matches your inventory. If they don't match up then you query it with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

A community forum will not be able to answer this, like others have said unless you have been sent anything from 2019 then BT will not want it back but can be sent for recycling.

A simple (and short) call to customer services will establish the equipment in play as far as they are concerned 

0 Ratings