cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Whole Home Wi-Fi Premium keeps resetting network name and password

Hi, I learnt a lot with these units, that was never buy them again.

I ripped then all out and replace with Amazon Eeero 6 Pro and never had an issue again.

I also left BT Broadband for a much faster 1GB up and 1GB down as BT cannot offer this, so I am much better off. 

Basically the disks became unstable with about 15 to 25 devices per unit and worst off, the hub cannot support more than 50-75 devices, so it was a problem with get go and I never knew this.   When a disc took more than 15 devices it triggered a reset and the whole system went down and on a number of occasions every device needed to be connected.

BT blamed legacy steering, but they soon stopped responding to my support requests as they clearly didn't know what was happening and even though this was escalated, legacy steering was supposed to be the cause.  This was in a hidden hub menu where you add https://YOUR_HUB_IP/steering.htm, it was supposed to stop old 2.4GHz devices steering to other hubs for load balancing from my understanding, but this was off and I still had the same issues even with it on.

The only time the hubs were stable was once they had been wiped and I had just 10 to 20 devices spread across all discs.    they really do not work well with IOT devices and this may have been the root cause as everything nowdays if wifi and needs to be connected for it to work, hive, lights, phones, laptops, tv, ipads, heaters, toaster, kettle etc, you know...  BT hardware just cannot handle this as well as CCTV cameras constantly uploading and download data.  

Linksys I tried, but range was an issue, Amazon Eeero Pro 6, 100% recommend and especially for security, wifi speeds, i get near 800mb download and upload.   1GB up and down when cabled.  Good thing is that with these units you also can hardwire each one if you wish or mesh them and the work a dream... Highly recommend.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Thanks for the response.

I'm finding similar with their support - the issue was escalated to 2nd line and I've not heard from them since. I've emailed them twice since then with further information but nothing so far!

I have just switched from Virgin to Toob's 900 up/down package. That also uses one of those Linksys routers that you can mesh with other linksys products - although if the router management page is anything to go by I don't think I'll be doing that.

The wholehome had been running very reliably until this month. There are no new devices on the network and I'm no where near the number of devices you mention. Just a shame it has decided to become so problematic now and it's crazy there's no real way of backing up and restoring the configuration!

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

I know exactly what you mean about the backing up of the config, that was another reason why I decided to move away. You can try going to the legacy staring and turning that off. By most cases you’ll just be told to reset the unit and have to remesh all the discs again. Personally, I called her a day with BT. I think they’re just getting a little bit complacent because of being taken over by EE. So he have supposedly better devices, but I’m not yet ready to Test those out.

If anything, I will probably look at upgrading my primary Amazon eero, to have Wi-Fi 7, and these devices will support over 120… and it is very stable and I have since it’s been installed, which is around two years, I have had not one issue with the devices at all. I occasionally reboot them to apply a firmware update which is done automatically., I have a subscription package which gives me advanced security features, gives me a private VPN and lots of other perks and I actually use a lot of of them, so for the price just wait for Amazon Black Friday sales and grab some then.

However, if you know anyone that wants any BT premium Wi-Fi discs, can have them cheap. There are three in a box.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

@barrie_elliott I might be interested in taking them off your hands. You can contact me on davidcameron001 AT gmail DOT com.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Hi David - does that mean that your discs no longer randomly reset themselves?

If so - what did you do to fix it?
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Honestly it was so long ago I can't remember. The only significant change was that I got p**d off with TalkTalk and switched to BT so replaced the TT router with a BT Smart Hub 2. That seems to have resolved the problem - we have a fairly standard set-up without fibre so superfast speeds and loads of connections aren't critical for us.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

I have popped you an email. 👍🏼
0 Ratings