cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 12

Re: Whole home wifi low speed

With so many SSIDs on different devices I think it's almost certain that you have channels clashing. I'd be inclined to turn the WiFi off on everything bar the BT discs & test download.

Then turn the BT discs off & turn the TP-Link devices WiFi  on & test again.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 12

Re: Whole home wifi low speed

This is a general response to all the helpful people above.

Having spent the best part of yesterday trying out various combinations of devices and locations, I am going to admit partial defeat.

For the record, these components were 3 x BT Mini Whole Home Wifi disks, a TP-link WPA7617 Base unit and two TP-Link WPA7617 Wifi extenders.

With the BT disks, it proved impossible to get them to operate at anything above 40-45Mbps in any room in the house, except where they were in the same room as the Virgin Media Hub 4 router, where I could get 150Mbps+! After talking with BT, I have to admit there is probably an environmental problem in my house, the walls preventing better performance. With the previous BT Smart Hub, I was only contracted to get up to 60Mbps, so the actual Mini Disc rates were less significant.

The good news is that I have managed to get good results from the TP-Link remote devices.  With one positioned in the corner of my dining-room, I can get a Wifi download speed of around 180Mbps.  So I am going to use that device for Wifi downstairs. Bizarrely, locating it in in the far corner of the dining-room, about 12 feet away, I could not get more than 100Mbps, suggesting that my Ring Main (40yo) may not be as fit for purpose as I had expected!

Upstairs, I had previously located the other TP-Link remote device in a bedroom, which is roughly above the dining room, and used it as an Ethernet feed for a SKY Q Mini box, with the Wifi turned off.  Turning on the Wifi (5Ghz only) on this device, I could get a download speed of c150Mbps.

I shall therefore retire the BT Mini disks and just use the TP-Link Wifi networks.

Once again, many thanks for your replies and helpful suggestions.

0 Ratings