cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Apologies if this seems like a triviality,but I just can't understand why BT would choose the color grey for their Hub Manager.... of all the colors to choose from.... Why??.. especially since the color grey is usually used to denote 'disconnection' or 'inactive' when used online.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why?

Go to solution

Indeed, seems a bizarre choice to me too.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

In all honesty I thought it was a 'mistake' to start with when the colours changed. I work for a company that has bespoke VPN software we flash onto other routers, and we brand that firmware from a 'vanilla' state all depending on our customer. It looks to me like what BT did was 'forget' to add the BT Branding into the build before deployment. If you compare to the old branding, almost all mentions of 'BT' disappeared, not just the logos but — excepting the links themselves — even the help section, the technical section.

I supposed at the time that this made sense because their EE Smart Router is the same hardware, but the firmware is branded EE. So they would have a vanilla build that they brand either BT or EE all depending on the hardware casing they are sending the router out in. So in the grey state it is currently in your could fill in the blanks EE and it would work either way.

I still believe this is what has happened — the question is, was it a mistake? Now with the BT/EE swap over happening, does it just mean they shot the gun too early and removed the BT branding way way way too soon, leaving us with vanilla 'Hub Manager'. Will is be branded EE soon?

Or was it, in fact, a mistake, and they decided — heck, who cares? We won't bother trying to fix that… because they haven't.

If it were just the colour scheme I would assume just a terrible choice, but the brand name of BT was stripped, even BTWi-fi was replaced with 'Public Wi-Fi' as if it was in the vanilla in between state.

Truth is, we don't know… but what I supposed happened seems to fit what we are left with.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Does it matter?

I don’t use an SH2 because of its trendy design.  I use it because DV obliges me too.  (And that’s far more of an issue than the ascetics).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
So you have to use proprietary hardware for a proprietary service? I'm not entirely sure that is any different to using a landline telephone on the BT/Openreach installed telephone line going to your house before the use of VoIP. If you don't want to use the Smart Hub 2 then there are other VoIP providers out there using SIP and RTP that don't require proprietary hardware… it's user choice. But that has very little to do with the OP's query.

The question was about the GUI.
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I think you missed my point somewhat.

0 Ratings