cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

500 to 900 upgrade - Speeds remain the same.

Go to solution

Upgraded from 500 to 900 FTTP on Thursday afternoon, all went through okay and was due to switchover Friday, which it did. I woke up at 4am for work Friday to check my order and was partly done so I checked my speeds via WiFi and Ethernet still sitting at 300Mbps WiFi and 503Mbps Ethernet so knew I was still on old package. Woke up today (Saturday March 4th) and still the same as before and nowhere near 900Mbps, if anything it's less now on WiFi but still 480+ on Ethernet. 

My order is showing as complete on my BT app, and I knew it could take up to midnight to switch but that's been and gone now and still on old package (by the looks of it) checked Ethernet on PC, Laptop, Xbox Series X and PS5 and all Ethernet connected but maxing out at 500Mbps. Can any Sages, Mods or average person help please.tl

Thanks 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: 500 to 900 upgrade - Speeds remain the same.

Go to solution

What is your upload speed, it should have gone to about 110Mbps?

Try switching the ONT off wait for 20 seconds and turn it back on.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Using Ookla I'm sitting at 325/349Mbps down and 85/95Mbps up. It's getting a little better hour by hour which is weird as it's FTTP and not FTTC so no settling period. 

Will keep an eye out over weekend and update Monday. Did the ONT thing you said and seems to have helped a bit but again WiFi not higher than 400Mbps maximum 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Deucalion 

Speed will vary as you are sharing a 2.5Gb  fibre connection with 31 other users, so you will only get the full speed if less customers are using their connection at once.

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Unless your WiFi devices are WiFi 6 and support 160MHz channel width, 400-500 is max you will see on a wireless connection.

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Right, I didn't know that I honestly thought with FTTP it was my line and my line only. With FTTC I knew you shared it with the street but thought it was different with to the prem fibre.

Ethernet has pinged up to 900Mbps and 98Mbps on Xbox and PlayStation so I'm happy with that now. As for WiFi 400 will be more than enough. Thanks for all the help guys. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Deucalion 

You will only get an exclusive line on an expensive BT Business product costing thousands of pounds installation costs and rental.

BT Business broadband has a lower contention rate, but an increased cost.

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Speed will vary as you are sharing a 2.5Gb fibre connection with 31 other users, so you will only get the full speed if less customers are using their connection at once.

Then what the point of FTTP? Waste of money and waste of time!

0 Ratings