cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

500mb fibre very slow around 240mb, tested everything. No luck!

Go to solution

Hi, Looking for help.

I am on full fibre 500 and it has all been working ok, or I thought it was. I haven't tested the download performance since switched to package a few months ago. Then it was working fine.

I am in middle of refurbing my office at home so had to move broadband kit for a few days.

Re-connecting it back up and all appeared ok, until went to check speed and it is only reporting approx 240mb download speed.

I noticed firmware updated 27th June to v0.39.01.04077-BT.  My previous tests were before this update. I 100% know as the Hybrid option was not showing back then, this is how I knew firmware been changed.

I have disabled the wifi, and have laptop connected via cat5e patch cable direct to router so its only device connected. No effect.

Replaced WAN and Network cable, no effect.

Tried different PC, no effect.

If I test speed via the option in router (SH2), it launches, goes away to test after logging in, then comes back and says account unknown. Gave up on that option.

Speed test been done via 3+ speed checkers online and they all report slow speeds.

Running out of patience with this now.

Can anybody help please.

Thanks

Steve 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: 500mb fibre very slow around 240mb, tested everything. No luck!

Go to solution

have you tried resetting the hub using the recessed button on back and holding until hub lights flash just in case the firmware update has not fully updated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

I think found source of problem. 
It got to me so continued testing and I think it is down to WAN cabling. Been using Cat7 patch cable (as using refurb to tidy my rats nest of cables), and what found is reverting to cat5e gives me the 500mb. 

I looked online for ideas and suggestions to possible cause and found feedback that recommends only using cat5e or cat6 for the WAN link, so tried it and voomph, speed back. 

I have retested back on cat7 and it does cause  drop in speed. I didn’t think it would cause this issue, so going to leave cat5e connected and monitor speed over next few days. 
If problem not fixed then will try the reset on router. 
Thanks for reply

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Do you know what sort of connector your Cat7 cable has, as some are more compatible than others?

Have a read of an article such as: www.cablematters.com/Blog/Networking/what-is-cat7-and-why-you-don-t-need-it

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

I bought them off Amazon. Flat type Cat7. Have skirting trunking and looking at way of reducing space so looked at flat. 
I have now gone back to cat5e for WAN and LAN links to SH2.  All looks to work ok. 
Using the Cat7 flat cable between netgear switches works ok. 

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Perhaps someone more ‘au fait’ with linking posts could point @THECOYOTE99 to this post , they appear convinced the low speed they are getting couldn’t be their own kit , perhaps they have a similar problem to this .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@iniltous 

I have already posted on   @THECOYOTE99  thread about cat 7 problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

With  respect i'm no idiot and i build pcs and network loads of LANs all the  time. The speed on wifi? 40mbps, speed on any router (tried 3) 40mbps. Pppoe direct from the ONT to my Ryzen 7 windows 11 10 core PC? 40mbps (tried all cat types, including the red one they provide). I have narrowed it down as hard as i can but people keep claiming i'm just in denial and it's starting to get frustrating. I definitely am not and at the very least if it was just their router and the ONT box, my phone connected to it should not be reading 40mbps thats like 5% of the speed i'm meant to be  getting.

I appreciate everyone's help but some of the replies really are starting to get condescending

0 Ratings