cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

A device disconnected from Ethernet port

Hi,

I have issues with Ethernet ports disconnecting randomly.

This only happens via Ethernet, WiFi devices are not effected.

I have tried different device connect via Ethernet, same issue.

I have tried difference Ethernet, same issue.

Anyone else experienced similar issues and know how fix them? Is replacing the hub with proper router the solution or should I get the hub replaced with other BT one to try that first?

In logs on most recent one I have noticed the following:

08:47:34, 14 May.
admin login success from 192.168.1.189

08:47:19, 14 May.
admin timeout from 192.168.1.189

08:45:43, 14 May.
A device connected to Ethernet port 1

08:45:43, 14 May.
Wire Lan Port 1 up, Speed 1000 Mbps

08:45:40, 14 May.
DHCP device Disconnected: 192.168.1.189, 2c:f0:5d:29:d5:ec, DESKTOP

A device disconnected from Ethernet port 1

Wire Lan Port 1 down, Speed 10 Mbps

LAN [DEL] ARP 192.168.1.189 with 2c:f0:5d:29:d5:ec from br0

DoS(UDP Loopback): IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= src=94.102.61.32 DST=109.158.97.84 LEN=57 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=244 ID=54321 PROTO=UDP SPT=41734 DPT=19 LEN=37 MARK=0x8000000
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: A device disconnected from Ethernet port

@Kanashiidesu 

Welcome to this user forum.

It will be an issue with auto-negotiation, and slight temperature changes can cause timing differences and corrupt the Ethernet Link Pulse. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

This is why you are seeing different connections speeds.

If you fit an Ethernet switch between a LAN port on the home hub, and the LAN port on your computer/network  the problem should stop, as the switch will match the two rates.

Like this one https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/litewave-switch/ls1005g/

You would only use two of the ports, and it would give three extra ones if you needed them.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the answer and recommending the Switch.

Is the issue hardware/router related, as in if I replace the hub with a 3rd party router would that potentially fix itself?

Or is it caused by ISP/Fibre limitations?

If this would happen on any router, I will just obtain the Switch, but if it is possible to not add another device on a shelf somewhere, I would rather just replace the whole unit itself.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

It's an odd fault!  Personally I'd suspect that the device plugged into the router could be failing!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Kanashiidesu 

A better quality router may help, but its all down to the timing variations between different bits of hardware. Two home hubs could perform differently. Its not the first time this has been reported.

Its also important that the Ethernet cable is of the correct specification and fully wired.

An Ethernet switch is cheaper than buying a different router.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I've seen many modern PCs do this. When the PC shuts down it disconnects it's LAN port, then connects at 10mb.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I agree with the above, It's probably the link going into low power mode due to inactivity or sleep mode.

If the computer goes to sleep then it will drop the link speed to 10Mbps.

As soon as you wake the computer up the link will renegotiate to 1000Mbps or whatever the maximum speed is.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi all,

I have had the same issue for quite sometimes, got a BT wifi disk in my office and I am connecting my PC through an ethernet cable from the disk and I constantly lost wired connection, connecting back with wifi then 2 minutes later back to ethernet. I have been sceptical, thought my issue is probably hidden somewhere in the settings of my router or IP address etc. In the end I have bought one of these Ethernet switches and I had no issue with it ever since.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

0 Ratings