cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

All neighbours can get full fibre but we can't

Hello.

I'm not currently a bt customer. Currently with virginmedia.

Openreach finished the build for full fibre on our road on 24th April. I've been checking my address constantly waiting for when it becomes available as I wish to switch to BT.

Yesterday I checked my neighbours addresses and have sinced found that all my neigbours on the left and right of our property and also opposite have full fibre available but our property says. "Build not announced". Does anyone know why this might be the case?

Thanks for your help

On BT's wholesale checker this is the result of our property:

2.gif

 This is the output of our neighbour on the right of our property about 10ft away.

3.gif

This is the output of our neighbour on the left about 20ft away

1.gif

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: All neighbours can get full fibre but we can't

Do you know if neighbours are with ISPs that use the openreach network unlike you on virgin

As you are not a BT customer there is nothing the forum can do to help and there is no link from here to openreach.

You would need to try phoning the FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and see if they can help after explaining neighbours show FTTP available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure who the neighbours are with but if I use any of the broadband checkers from either, sky, bt, talktalk or openreach it says full fibre is available to their premises but just not ours.

I will try the number you gave.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

If your immediate neighbours either side can get FTTP , and they are served by overhead means ( telegraph poles ) does you property have an old , previously used dropwire to a pole that either of these neighbours are connected to ? ( presumably these neighbours are not served from the same pole as the survey notes are different, one saying Residential SDU , overhead , no anticipated issues , the other , overhead , served from the rear ,  the address shown as served from the rear could have an issue  , as that survey note is to indicate that the pole may not be easily accessible for the Openreach engineers , for example, potentially in someone’s garden for example.

Is there anything unusual about your address , known by a name ‘Rose Cottage’ for example, rather than a house number , often in these cases where the occupant is sure FTTP service can be provided , potentially observing the FTTP equipment on a pole directly adjacent to their premises, but the wholesale checker sites say FTTP not available, it’s the address ‘data’ not matching the Royal Mail records that is the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi.

I'm unsure if we have an old drop wire.

The neighbour on the left is a bit set back from the road compared to us and not facing the road so that may be why it is served from the rear.

The neighbours on the right are served from the telephone pole directly opposite our house. The pole is closer to us than them.

One thing is that we don't have a  phone wire going from the pole to our house. We used to do but it was removed when we switched to telewest/virgin. Could that be an issue?

Our family has lived in this house since 1960 and it has never had a name. It has always been the number.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If the telegraph pole at the front that serves you neighbourhood ‘could’ even to your untrained eye also serve your property and likely had a dropwire from it to your home prior to taking ‘cable’ ( TBH , the cable company shouldn’t be taking down dropwires that don’t belong to them but obviously that was some time ago ) the lack of dropwire is unimportant, the chances are your property can get FTTP , but for some reason the address info isn’t correct, it doesn’t make a difference when your area was surveyed if there was a dropwire in place or not, part of the survey is to check the addresses are assigned to the appropriate OR assets ( like the pole ) 

Is your postcode limited to your street, road,  avenue , etc.  so it would be easy to see if the postcode on OR has any errors , like the street has 10 houses , but there are 11 entry's on the OR database , or does your postcode  cover many streets ? In which case not so easy to check ?

Its quite possible that your address is simply incorrect on the OR database ,  if you know it (or look it up online if you don’t  ) your address UPRN , try using that instead of the postal address on the DSL checker to see if FTTP then shows as available.

Does  the entry for your address on the wholesale DSL checker exactly match how the the address is recorded on the Royal Mail website ?

TBH , the likely solution is to advise Openreach that your immediate neighbours can get FTTP from OR but you cannot , that should trigger OR to explore why not , and correct any data error

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hello.

Thanks for your help.

We live on a main road. Our postcode stretches so far along the main road before it changes. Properties directly opposite have a different postcode which also have full fibre available.

I have tried using the UPRN but that also says fttp unavailable.

I've checked my address on the broadband checker against the royal mail database and they both match.

Thanks again

0 Ratings