cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Broadband Speed below Minimum Guaranteed

Hello,

I am certain I am not the only one experiencing this problem however, for the past month and a half I nave noticed that my broadband speed is below the guaranteed minimum. I am on BT Fibire 1 which should give me downloads speeds of between 32Mbs and 36Mbs with a minimum stay fast guarantee of 29Mbs. However, I have been experiencing fluctuating speeds since I first noticed the problem around mid-April. I have experienced my line dropping quite regularly and speeds had fallen at one point to about 10Mbs. 

I have had 3 different engineers come out to my property to investigate and they did various things like resetting the line profile and although it appeared to fix the problem this was only temporary and speeds have dropped back down to around 25-26Mbs. Following my last complaint to BT about 2 weeks ago they recommend that I change the router and they also claim that my speeds can be affected if I keep switching the router on and off as I would usually turn it off at nights when going to bed. However, despite the new router and leaving the router on for the past 5 or so nights it doesn't seem to have made any difference. My feeling is that this is a BT infrastructure issue but they are not admitting to this and keep insisting that as far as they are concerned there is no issue with their infrastructure. The problem however cannot be in my property. It has gone past 30 days since I first reported the problem so I think I am left with no option than to demand an exit from this contract.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestion?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Broadband Speed below Minimum Guaranteed

You would appear to have an intermittent line fault that the engineers have been unable to successfully locate, this has caused DLM to take action by reducing your speed in an an attempt to stabilise your connection. Turning off your router gas further compounded the problem as DLM will regard that as further symptoms of the fault and will also be unable to obtain stats from your router to ascertain the error count of your line. Moving provider will not help as you will be using the same Openreach infrastructure whichever provider you choose.

You need to report the fault again to get it properly investigated, a DLM reset won't help until the underlying fault is rectified.

In the meantime, could you please post a screenshot of the hub stats and the result of the checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your quick response.

I think this is the hub stats you wanted.

HenryOcho_0-1653983628182.pngHenryOcho_1-1653983678329.pngHenryOcho_2-1653983732529.png

Results of the broadband checker link here.

HenryOcho_3-1653983805147.pngHenryOcho_4-1653983857500.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Unfortunately, your download speed is marginally higher than the handback threshold, however, your line is capable of over 40Mbps but has been reduced by DLM action.

This can take several weeks of stable connection to improve your speed and your line has only had 3 days since the last disconnection.

I would still report the fault and get another engineer visit.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Is there any noise on the line with a quiet line test 17070?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran the quiet line test but there doesn't seem to be any noise coming through. I did have interference from the phone line to the broadband such that whenever the phone rings and I answer it the broadband connection would drop and there would be a lot of static on the line but this was fixed. I will go ahead and book another engineer then.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

if it was me I wouldn't bother and as you appear to be able to order FTTP - fibre to your home I would phone FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and get FTTP with better reliability and significant faster speed

the package costs are the same for yout FTTC as they are on FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for the tip by my problem isn't about faster speeds. 32Mbs - 36Mbs is more than adequate for my usage. The problem for me is that I feel I am being conned by BT in that I am not getting the speeds I am currently paying for and I take exception to that. I shouldn't have to upgrade because there is some problem with the delivery systems.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

You're not being conned, you have a fault. If you are happy with your speed why does it matter that you are not 'getting the speed you are paying for'.

The price of a given package is the same regardless of delivery medium.

Well spotted @@imjolly  I didn't notice the FTTP option 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

as @licquorice already pointed out your connection speed is above the handback threshold so BT may not help.  however the line instability is the cause of your problem not helped by turning the hub off every night and on again in the morning  you need to leave hub connected 24/7 for the DLM to see line stable and start to reduce noise margin and increase speed

I understand your feeling about wanting speed (connection speed not download) that you pay for but when there is a far better connection for same price it like 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'  makes no sense

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings