cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Business Hub 6 (domestic user) dropping connection

Good morning, 

We have a BT Business Hub 6, but using it as a domestic router, so not a business customer. For the last couple of months we have been struggling with drops in the internet connection. That would happen at random times during the day, the lights would change and then the hub would re-connect after a minute or so, sometimes longer. It's quite frustrating given I mostly work from home.

Nothing changed on our end, no increase in devices or internet use. The hub is in the same place as it always has been. Report a fault service does not detect any issue with the line. No usual troubleshooting steps work. 

I attach part of the event log from this morning, there seems to be some Firewall activity which seems to coincide with today's loss of connection. Could that be what's causing the problems? What does this Firewall activity mean?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 11.10.31.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Business Hub 6 (domestic user) dropping connection

Hmm just checked the logs again, and Firewall messages are still there at 11:26am and the internet connection is working for now, so perhaps that's not what's causing the drops
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Just got another dropped connection, the logs have this around the same time as the lost connection:

17:31:33, 08 Jul.

:The LAN DHCP Server is active

17:31:33, 08 Jul.

:The LAN DHCP Server is inactive

17:31:32, 08 Jul.

ppp1:The NTP server used is: ntp.homehub.btopenworld.com

:The LAN DHCP Server is active

:The LAN DHCP Server is inactive

This is also around the time our Tado smart thermostat for our hot water boiler goes on, could it be somehow connected? It's plugged into the router via the ethernet cable and it's been plugged that way for a long time and the internet used to work ok

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It could be the thermostat arcing causing line interference.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

is there any solution to that? I have been since reading Tado forums and this thread seems to be useful: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/13560/the-tado-internet-bridge-drastically-slows-down-my...

People suggest buying an ethernet switch to plug in between the router and Tado bridge. I am not entirely sure how any of this works and if it could solve our problem. Any clarification would be much appreciated 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

That isn't what I was suggesting.

Electrical arcing can cause  interference to the broadband line. Arcing can occur as the thermostat kicks in and out.

If your hub is changing colour, it is the broadband itself that is dropping.

0 Ratings