cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT FTTP 900 Latency blows my old Virgin Connection away :)

This isnt really a question but more of a positive experience once my service went live.

I had been with Virgin Cable since 2015 before moving to BT FTTP 900 in Jan 2024 just gone, as much as I'm aware that Cable Broadband does have its compromises given it can suffer from interference/noise issues, I wasnt expecting such a dramatic improvement. This might not be the case for all Virgin customers of their Cable but depending on distance from the cab can sometimes cause there to be too much 'power' on the cable meaning attenuators are required, simply removing a splitter (like I did when my TV service went first) meant that the remaining link to the Modem was too strong.

Aside from Virgin Customer Service being painful I am really happy to have moved to FTTP with BT and although I imagine Openreach are largely responsible for the performance I thought I'd make this positive post about my experience since going live.

Below is a BB Monitor which basically checks latency, the switch over is clear from Cable to Fibre as there is a huge red block but the difference is also clear. All the yellow spikes was me performing speed tests all day long watching that 900 down 🙂 The average latency is more stable and lower, the maximum latency on the virgin cable is very much all over.

naylor2006_0-1708077214875.jpeg

Im not hear to moan about Virgin, im sure some people have better experiences than me but here to highlight the benefits for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT FTTP 900 Latency blows my old Virgin Connection away :)

I'm on the Fibre 500 package and I can say that I am happy too! Both with latency and the download speed.

I could get 420mbps on my PS5 through one thick and one thin wall with the SH2 and now I am on a WiFI 6 router I am getting 450-480 which is a massive increase, but it was already pretty impressive!

Elsewhere in the place I get 30-140mbps which is plenty fine since it's only the laptop or phone. The BT TV Pro box which is the furthest device away from the router gets 124mbps!  (Powerline is a no go for me)

So yep, a happy customer here too!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Yeah ive got a BT TV Box Pro but thats on ethernet as its near the router, I'm running my own router also and have a separate WIFI solution as my house has crazy thick concrete walls. I cant speak for the WIFI performance of the Hub as im not using it. I wouldnt hold it against the hub if it didnt give my entire house coverage anyway.

Yeah even with 350Mbps from Virgin a FIFA update or GTA would still take a while, shout out to those guys on ADSL though who want to play a new update 🙂

The CyberPunk Update on Steam (On my PC) maxed out at 900Mbps the other day, was a huge update and all I did was make a drink and it was done!

Throughput is one thing, but its the latency that I'm impressed with, 350Mbps with Virgin was plenty but the its the latency that I particularly happy with, can make all the difference in some online games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Oh Cyberpunk! I keep telling myself to try that out one day but I am busy with the Spiderman PS series, and now that Tomb Raider 1-3 remastered is out... it pushes Cyberpunk further to the back of my mind 😛

Have you seen the insane ultra realistic mod for Cyberpunk? One person even did a bike ride and it looked like a photo at first! I can't link it but it can be found by searching for "Cyberpunk 2077: POV Photorealistic Motorbike Ride In 8k" on youtube!

If only I could afford a gaming  PC and an RTX 4090! 😮

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I actually havent entertained any mods but you can get it for the PS5, its not quite the same experience though.

Luckily for me I have a 4080 and on the PC CyberPunk is insanely pretty.

Ill check out that video though!

Message 6 of 8

You might be able to run that mod at 4k on the 4080! 🙂

Message 7 of 8

The price jump between the 4080 and 4090 is stupid, I cant bring myself to invest nearly £2000 into a GPU.

Message 8 of 8

Yeah true, and when the 5080 is released it is going to blow the 4090 out of the water anyway!

That's what usually happens in the generations of Nvidia GPUs. So you actually save and gain by staying on the same path lol.

0 Ratings