cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT Fibre 900 Max Speed Not being achieved

Go to solution

I have BT Fibre 900.

When installed it initially managed to obtain 700 to 900Mb/s regularly when checking connection speeds.

I have a Unifi Dream Machine Pro with capability of handling the full 900 rate.

More recently the connection speed checks are generally 600 to 700, no higher.

I know there is a guaranteed 450 min speed which I believe is achieved.

However, if a service is advertised as 900, I would expect it to be able to achieve it, at least some of the time.

My question is, are BT downgrading speeds after a while?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Fibre 900 Max Speed Not being achieved

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Fibre 900 Max Speed Not being achieved

Go to solution

Short answer is No, longer answer is you are on shared connection , with up-to 31 others , although in reality it’s not likely to be more than 30 in total and probably a few less than that….the shared bandwidth is 2.4Gb download and 1.2Gb upload.

If you were one of the first connections on your PON ( passive optical network ) and over time more have joined then especially at peak times throughput speeds could be affected …if you expected an exclusive 1Gb connection , then you were mistaken, also when running a speed test are you ensuring nothing else is consuming bandwidth at the same time ?

Try a speed test at time when it’s unlikely to be much demand from others , and while nothing is connected to your router apart from the device running the test, and obviously that device not running other applications, if you still have an issue , try the equipment that BT provided you with , or set up a PPOE connection directly wired from a device capable of Gb speeds to the ONT .

0 Ratings