cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Fibre Installation Issues

I am currently using BT broadband and I am going to move to a new home. I reached BT to try to move the broadband service to new home and BT mentioned that openreach is required to install new fibre, junction box junction, drill hole into the new house, installation of switch. That may be a concern since landload may not allow. Can I early terminate the BT contract based on landlord refusal of the installation of the new fibre? Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Fibre Installation Issues

@DancougaGary 

You should ensure that you have permission before taking out a contract with BT however if the service has not been installed and activated you would not be charged because the contract starts when installed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

if you are already in a BT contract and going to move to new home which can get BT Broadband and you decide to terminate the contract because landlord will not give permission then you will get termination penalty

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 10

Why would your landlord object ?, if you are in an area where, once FTTP becomes available, Openreach stop selling ‘copper’ products , like ADSL or FTTC , then to get service from anyone that uses Openreach, not just BT , OR have to install the ‘new’ FTTP infrastructure….generally it’s unobtrusive, a small block on the outside wall and a cable ran to the location of the ( internal ) ONT….supposedly people will pay more for property that has FTTP access than one that doesn’t  , so it’s likely you getting FTTP would increase the value of the property, you would think the landlord would want that.

Message 5 of 10

Cause the property already have Virgin media. Landlord doesn't prefer to have hole drilled / junction box at the wall .... On the other hand, BT requires the contract (24-mth) to start again from the installation of fibre, is that a fair deal?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Yes, they will have incurred expenses in providing the service, it is only reasonable they should be allowed to recoup those expenses.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I am willing to continue my contract as long as there is no disruption to the new property. I don't have the right to make any amendment to the property and my only way out is to pay the penalty... Is there any terms and condition of BT that authorize BT to charge me such penalty fee?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Yes, BT are able to provide service. It is not their fault if your landlord refuses to allow them to do so. It is effectively you, via your landlord's obduracy, that has prevented BT supplying the service.

Your landlord would appear to be a complete idiot if he won't allow BT to provide a fibre service, giving his tenants a choice of supplier.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

As already stated , if you or your landlord won’t allow BT ( via Openreach ) to supply the address then expecting to be excused your contractual obligation from your old address is ludicrous…if you don’t take service you ( quite correctly ) will be liable for paying early termination charges , after all it’s not BT changing the terms of your existing contract at the old address but you ( by moving home and not continuing service at the new address ) .

If it’s your landlord that is refusing to allow this install , you should ask them to contribute towards the ETC , after all you state it’s their ( unreasonable )  demand that stopping the install, FTTP being something that many would want , it’s not like mounting a block and drilling a hole is major work , and if VM is installed it’s something that they were allowed to do, if the hole through the wall is an issue , presumably the landlord could remove the VM ‘cable’ and reuse the hole for the FTTP cable .

The length of the minimum term is irrelevant, presumably you will use Virgin at the address and that will also require a minimum term.

‘The landlord won’t allow the line to be installed’ sounds like the sort of excuse that someone would try to use because they don’t want to continue service with their current provider and use it as a way to try and  get out of paying ETC , it’s unlikely to work, if the landlord cannot be persuaded, you will have to pay ETC .

Message 10 of 10

After all, I will compare the (Bt cost of 24-mth + estimated cost of paying the landlord of the recovery) & (VM cost of 24-mth + BT termination fee) and take the lower cost option at the moment.  I should also consider the possibility of future house moving as well especially if I move within the broadband contract period. Thanks all for your comment!  

0 Ratings