cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT Fibre over Copper Cable

Go to solution

I currently just have a copper phone line from BT. I have recently placed an order for BT Fibre Broadband 75mb and Digital Voice service.

I have been told that they would be running the service over my existing copper telephone cable.

I know all the telegraph poles on the estate have had fibre run to them a few months ago by Openreach, so full fibre is now available.

I presume there will be just a short run with the existing copper cable to the telegraph pole, then it will connect to the Fibre cable.

My question for anyone else with this setup is:

1) will I actually get a reliable 75mb service with this setup ?

2) Are BT doing this to save money rather than running a new fibre cable to my house ?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Fibre over Copper Cable

Go to solution

If you’re getting Full Fibre, which it sounds like you are they will run a brand new Fibre Cable from the Pole to your house.

They will put a CSP in the outside wall and from there run another Fibre Cable inside where it will terminate into an ONT. An ONT, which your Smart Hub will plug into. An ONT needs a Mains Power Supply.

I think when they say they will run it over your existing Copper Line they’re talking about the rule where the Installer is supposed to follow the same cable route with the Fibre Cable that your existing Copper Cable takes.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

As stated , if you are getting fibre to the premises ( FTTP ) then it’s fibre to the ONT , a new piece of kit that is fitted inside your home , no copper pair from the pole or anywhere else …either you have misunderstood or the customer service representative ( who are not engineers ) have not made a good job of explaining what’s being provided, but are you sure FTTP is available, having seen the equipment being installed on the pole isn’t necessarily ‘proof’ of FTTP availability….if BT called it ‘full fibre’ when you ordered it ,  then fair enough, but 80Mb F2 is delivered over FTTC and FTTP , and FTTC would explain the copper pair to your house comment.

You can check if your address has WBC FTTP here

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Yes I have checked and Full fibre is available to my address.

The BT Sales lady I spoke to said she had to put in a request to Openreach to see if the service could be run over my existing Copper telephone cable, she phoned me back 4 or so hours later to say it was ok and put the order on the system. 

I find it odd that they wouldn't replace the Copper cable with fibre so it would be future proofed if I ever wanted/needed an higher speed in the future.

Do you know the maximum speed you can get over a Copper cable and would it be a reliable speed ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@SteveDaviesUK 

can you please post the results of the dslchecker including the notes as it seems unusual if FTTP is available that you will continue with FTTC - fibre to cabinet and copper to your home.  the packages cost the same whether FTTC or FTTP

use the camera icon to upload images

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Are you actually getting FTTP or not?

If you’re getting an FTTC Service why would they come and put a Fibre Cable up to your house if you’re not going to be using it? 

If you want a Fibre Cable then order that.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

You cannot join a fibre cable to copper. Light doesn't travel well through metal.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

BT Availability Chacker.gif

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
Yes I have ordered BT Full Fibre 2 with a speed of 74mb plus digital voice. All I am asking is if they run broadband to my home using the existing copper cable, am I likely to get a reliable speed ?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

You are getting full fibre, you will not be connected via the copper cable. Whoever told you that you were was talking total nonsense.

0 Ratings