cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I have been moved over to EE but want to keep using my SH2 because the wireless range is better.

Will the SH2 still receive updates now I am with EE? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

You're probably going to get asked to return the BT SH2.

Both EE and BT use the same authentication and its mostly just a billing change on the back end so you could indeed just continue to use the BT SH2. Specifically if it will receive firmware updates still I dont know but more over I expect youre going to get asked to send it back anyway? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Yes they have asked for it back so I need to deal with that one.

The My BT speed test still works although the speed guarantee info line has gone.

Maybe if it is connected to the network it will just update, otherwise rolling out updates gets messy 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Im not sure you are going to be able to keep it, folks get charged for not returning, its probably better to buy your own router if you want 'better' WIFI.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I picked up a brand new SH2 FTTP version  for less than £15 all in on eBay so problem solved. I have a BT Disc as well which is another reason I don't want to shell out for the new EE version 

So I can avoid the £50 pound penalty for not returning it

Until EE sort out the wireless range issues this will work for me.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Yeah, there are alot for sale on there and its a work around.

The only thing I would say now is if you have problems and need EE to troubleshoot them for you the BT Router may be 'unsupported', so you'd have to put the EE one in for them to troubleshoot.

A wider suggestion, you could just get your own gear entirely, little more expensive though.

But you've solved your own problem if you ask me.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Today I received another returns bag from BT/

The first one came with BT /EE marked BT /EE returns Yorkshire Address attached to the EE router

The second just with BT on it with a Scottish address.

Which one should I use?

Neither covering letter tells me what equipment I should return.

What should I do? Guessing they want the router

1) return the router to EE / BT

2) Return it to BT

3) Cut it in half and return half to both

4) Wait and see what happens

Any ideas gratefully received

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Both addresses are used to receive returns so just pick one and put the items that are required in the one bag and send them back.

Make sure you get and KEEP your Proof of Postage and if need be take a photograph of it so that you have it in the chance that BT bill you for the items you are returning. 

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Just to answer my own Question

I plugged in my replacement SH2 yesterday and it updated to the July software release.

So you still get updates if you source your own BT router.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

That is because your BT Hub is authenticated by the line number not the actual BT hub.

0 Ratings