cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Smart Hub and fibre setup

Is it normal for the engineer to come early, and not finish setting things up properly ?

Given the new fibre takes over the phone line, should they not leave with the fibre/phone actually setup and working ?

Should the fibre modem be screwed to the wall with more than one screw ? Seems quite loose.

Should I be getting more than 300mb/s wifi when sitting right beside the router on a speed test ?

And now I have the fibre modem/router with broadband access, and my old BTHub6 copper line also giving internet access.

Does this suddenly stop or something ? When will the phone switch over to the fibre/router, as currently it's also on the copper line ? It does not work if I plug it into the smart hub.

The engineer came a day early, the postman literally only delivered the hub etc while they were there. That is not good planning or service.

Especially when I was not at home !

It seems IP address is same for Smart hub and my current Hub6 ? So am I supposed to remove the Hub6 now or what ?

And lastly, they installed the new fibre/hub in a rather inconvenient location. This will absolutely leave the Wifi even worse than it was before, even with 3 mesh discs !

This is supposed to be an upgrade ? It really isn't seeming like it so far

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Smart Hub and fibre setup

Were you moved to digital voice when you upgraded to FTTP?  If so go to hub manage in SH2 and you should see your phone number and does it say active. If not then DV is not connected yet

You should remove the old hub as that is no longer required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT Smart Hub and fibre setup

The ONT should be attached with 2 screws IIRC. You can complain about the install her. https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach/complaints-policy

As regards wireless speeds quite often it is the capability of the device being used. 300Mb seems pretty reasonable.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Re: Digital voice

My perception so far

Engineer comes to install and setup fibre and digital voice. Comes early, when only my elderly father at home.

Fails to set up digital voice, or offer any info regarding it at all.

Fails to mention anything about if or when the old broadband will swap over, etc etc

Fails to clean up the area they drilled etc etc

Failed to secure the fibre modem to the wall very well, it's quite loose.

Failed to ensure everything was working 100% before leaving

Failed to install the new hub anywhere near where the old master socket was, or central to the house. Now as expected Wifi range is even more pathetic than what it was

And now today when he should have arrived, I get a text to say digital voice is now active. Except the reality is...it is not. It does not work. And now I have no conventional landline at all. Well isn't that fantastic. They say I need some adapter.....now if the engineer had came on the correct day, maybe he could have figured this out, tested and fixed it ?

But nooo...he's not here. He didn't do his job, and did not finish his job. And now there is no landline, which my elderly father still uses. And is the only reason I chose the option to keep a landline number !!!

Very poor service so far.

0 Ratings