cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT TV Pro Box stops working when connecting a device to WiFi

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help solve an issue I'm having with WiFi/TV

Basically we moved to BT a couple weeks ago but we are having issues the the BT TV Pro Box freezing and juttering when watching through the WiFi option for the live TV (poor aerial signal where we are so thats not an option)

Now this only happens when a Nintendo switch is connected on the 5GHz frequency. If the Nintendo Switch is connected to the 2.4Ghz there is no issue with the TV. I have tested with another Nintendo switch and it was the same with the second one also

There is no issue with the TV when multiple laptops, phones, game consoles and other devices are connected on 5GHz. The issue only occurs as soon as the Nintendo switch is connected on the WiFi.  

To give some info we have a BT Smart Hub 2 on 900mbs speeds. All WiFi signal shows as excellent and I have tested with all devices disconnected and just the TV and Nintendo switch and the issue still happens.

Tried with tv box and router next to each other and the Nintendo switch far away, and equal distances between each with the router in the middle, but no matter what the issue happens as soon as the the Nintendo switch turns on. 

I'm baffled as to why this is happening and can't get the issue resolved. Its very frustrating as we can't have both the Nintendo switch and telly on at the same time at the moment. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV Pro Box stops working when connecting a device to WiFi

I have no idea why the Nintendo Switch would cause this behaviour (we have two in our house, and they don't seem to have the same impact), but you might be able to force the Switch to only connect to the 2.4 GHz network.

On the Hub management pages you can turn off the 5GHz network temporarily.  Then the Switch will connect to the 2.4GHz network, after which you can re-enable the 5GHz network.  (You might need to tell the Switch to forget existing network connections and re-enter the WiFi security key to make this stick.)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Make sure it isn't an IP address conflict, check the Nintendo hasn't been allocated the same address as the tv

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Might be worth assigning static IP addresses to both the Box & Switch.

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the reply everyone. Yeah that's what I done when I was testing to see if 2.4GHz was okay. The Switch is on 2.4GHz atm but it will eventually change back to 5GHz by itself at some point and start causing the issue again. I'm not sure if there is a way I can stop it from trying to connect to 5GHz once I turn it back on on the router? 

As for the IP address they are different but I will give it a go setting a static address for them to see if that helps. Thanks for the help 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I’m having the exact same issue, with the TV and the switch. 
did you find a solution? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Unfortunately I didn't find a resolution to it sorry

0 Ratings