cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Wholesale Address Checker

So I booked in with Octaplus after 2 months of an address registry issue with CF and OR. This was after being told by a OR customer support operator after an escalation of my address query, that their address records had been updated to include my door number (New Build in an existing area already with OH infrastructure).

Octaplus gave me a 3 day lead on the install, CF address checker stated my door number was eligible for FTTP, whilst OR address checker hadn’t changed and still stated I could not receive it.

The next day, I checked CF website to see that now my door number now stated that building works in my area are underway and FTTP was not available.

I then received an email from ISP stating that CityFibre had run into significant issue with the install and it would not go ahead. Obviously I asked ISP for an update and to understand what the issue is.

Since then I checked BT wholesale address checker, and can confirm that FTTP is available at my door number, but then it also stated:

‘OH Line of sight problems other’

My question is what might ‘other’ be?

there is a tree in the way between the pole and my house, but other properties cables are being run through it.

Is this a data issue or do you think ‘other’ is the tree?

anyone have any experience or advice?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Wholesale Address Checker

It’s not clear who you are wanting service with , if it’s an ISP using City Fibre infrastructure then  why are you involving Openreach and or BT and using their ‘tools’ to check availability etc. ? it doesn’t seem as though you have ordered with BT and therefore referencing the BTw checker is inappropriate , if it is BT you are intending to use perhaps you can confirm that, otherwise a BT customer forum isn’t the correct place to pitch your questions 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Completely understand the reference to CF and then referencing BT wholesale checker, but let’s take the ISP out of context, there clearly is an issue with installation moving forward as both BT and CF have sent engineers out but have not moved forward with the install.

maybe I wasn’t clear with what my query was, but I what I would kindly like support in understanding is, what does the following mean:

OH line of sight problems ‘other’

specifically the other.

I have seen the last word in forums being ‘trees’ in which there is a tree blocking line of sight, but any ideas what ‘other’ could be from anyone’s experience.

that was my question.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

It may seem pedantic but if you haven’t ordered a service from BT then this forum isn’t the appropriate place for you , even more so if the order isn’t even with an Openreach based provider, CF may leech onto Openreach assets under PIA but the BTw checker shows what the Openreach surveyor deemed the appropriate comment at the time of the survey with regard to Openreach policy and a potential Openreach installation ,  it  could be months or years between the Openreach survey and OR FTTP service being available,  so the environment may have changed in the meantime anyway.

City Fibre don’t use Openreach survey returns even if the CF equipment is located on or in an Openreach asset , hence the pointlessness of referring to the BTw checker for a failed CF order .

‘Line of sight , other’ simply means an obstacle or impediment has the potential to restrict Openreach in the provision of the overhead drop cable , the fact that it’s not Line of sight , trees ‘ may be relevant or may be irrelevant, especially if the obstacle seems to be a tree , it ultimately may be a distinction without  a difference, the Openreach procedure is the same in both cases   , potentially a two stage installation ( if selected by the survey) , the first stage to investigate and provide the mitigation to whatever the line of sight obstacle the survey found ….in many cases the survey will be ‘cautious’ ,  the first stage visit may determine that the overhead provision needs no special measures put in place anyway ….but ( and this can’t be stressed enough ) CF do whoever they want , their own process may be entirely different to OR , and CF installation problems are absolutely of no consequence to BT customers or even Openreach , what will never happen is CF referring to OR to ask OR to implement the line of sight mitigation that OR have noted ,  to make the CF installation problem go away , if a CF installation fails , nobody within BT or OR are involved, or care, if CF independently decided that they need to put mitigation in place to provide service ( or tell the customer they can’t have  service because they don’t want to put this mitigation in place ) that has nothing to do with BT or OR …..mitigation could be many things including , new feeder pole , new duct , wayleave from neighbours to use their property to ‘bounce’ a cable off , etc. etc, 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks really appreciate the comprehensive response.

Fully understand the points raised regarding CF and OR, I was more just giving a back story behind the situation and thought that CF issues for not installing at my property maybe somewhat linked to the line of sight problem stated on BTw. 

I have m since reached out to EE/BT and they have given me an install date as OR finally came back and confirmed a NAD key for my property.

I have an install planned for 1st July with OR so hoping the line of sight issue will be resolvable. 

fingers crossed! 

thanks again

0 Ratings