cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Speeds on Fibre 1 vs. Fibre 2

Hi,

Is anyone able to help my understanding of the potential upload/ download speed improvements for my line?
I currently have Fibre 1 package with digital voice and my download speed averages out at 49 - 52mbps, uploads at around 15mbps (I don't use ethernet).

I am able to upgrade to Fibre 2 for an extra £2 currently, but the details state I should expect to achieve 53mbps download; so barely any difference.

However, if I'm reading it correctly, the Broadband availability checker indicates a potential download speed of around 72mbps. If this is the case, is there any reason why the Fibre 2 contract wouldn't significantly deliver more that 53mbps?
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 16.33.45.pngScreenshot 2024-02-12 at 16.52.33.png

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Speeds on Fibre 1 vs. Fibre 2

You are currently on fibre 2 and getting the maximum speed your line is capable of (57.8). The checker shows an estimated speed range of between 72.7Mbps and 45.6Mbps. You are within that range.

Moving from fibre 1 to fibre 2 only gives an increase in speed up to the maximum your line is capable of. Had your actual speed been below 55Mbps, it would have had no effect at all had you been on fibre 1 and moved to fibre2.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Teach78 

I think you're actually on a Fibre 2 service but paying Fibre 1 prices. This could have happened a few years ago when loyal customers were actually upgraded - speed wise - but continued on a Fibre 1 package.

This happened to me which I was quite pleased about although the benefits were marginal.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@licquorice @TimCurtis 

Ah, Thankyou both for your replies. 
I was on the Halo 3 package until about a year ago when I removed BT TV at the end of the contract (replacing it with Sky Stream) and moving down to Fibre 1. Seems I’ve been fortunate and retained  slightly higher than average speeds for Fibre1 (!)

I was only prompted to check today on receiving my latest bill to see whether re contracting would erode the March 31 increase, but I doubt it’s worth it. I’m aware changing tariff before March is still likely to result in a tariff increase anyway. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Exactly the same situation as myself, mate.  In my experience, I get about a third of the way between the min & max figures, (and have done for nearly ten years now).  Traditionally I got 57-58 down and 17 up.  What is interesting is that the change to DV in September resulted in me rising to 61-62 down and 17 up, about two months later.  Are you on DV yet?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi, yes I’ve been on Digital Voice for a few years - when I first moved to Halo 3 I think and have retained it since downgrading to Fibre 1. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Are you on FTTC or FTTP
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Obviously FTTC if you look at the screenshots in post 1

0 Ratings