cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband fault - loss of services

Hi, 

My broadband went down yesterday. As a fault was not detected on the line the advisor confirmed it was the equipment that must be faulty and sent a new hub which arrived promptly, the day after.

I fitted the equipment and straight away the same problem. There is a pink/purple flashing light the same as the previous equipment which means no broadband. I did the usual troubleshooting to no affect.

I connected BT straight away and rheu still couldn't find a fault. A request for an engineer has been sent to open reach. They have by Friday 6pm to resolve the fault. I am already 1 and half days without services. The phone line works although using the same connection. The TV is limited as the broadband provides the services.

This wouldn't usually be as much as problem as it is right now. I am a key worker, working from home. I cannot work without my broadband and as it could be until Friday when it is repaired I could mean I have lost 4 and a half days of work! There is no clear date for repair so I need to be home incase an engineer confirms if they even do.

Am I entitled to a refund for loss of servies? Also giving the current situation with covid and the need to work from, should BT cover my losses in regards to work? Working from home means I do not have to find childcare but if I need to go in the office to work, finding last minute childcare can prove to be a big issue. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband fault - loss of services

It's explained at Automatic Compensation and no you can't claim for loss of earnings on a residential line.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

As far a consequential loss ( loss of earnings) , no, you have a residential line, if you use it for business purposes then strictly speaking that’s against the terms on which the service is supplied....you do get compensation for not being able to use the service, you would have to check the T&C’s for the amount...and as it’s not fixed yet, impossible to say how much it will be, you have to explore that when the number of days out of service are known.

You say the phone line works , have you confirmed it’s the correct number ( dial 17070, the number of the line is read out, ) if it’s not your number that will be the problem , if it’s the correct number and you have already changed the hub, then presumably you would have to wait until Openreach check whatever the issue is, presumably you have checked everything is connected correctly , and maybe changed the ‘filter’ if you use one , or if it’s built into the phone socket, tried using the test port with a filter

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

All equipment as been changed including the filter. I have used the testing port. Only the phone line works on that too.

Although it is a residential line I am using the broadband for work as my place of work is following government guidelines and working from home. Under normal circumstances I would not be working from home.

The scheme to claim back loss of services has been suspended. So right now I'm at a loss. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Which exchange are you on?

0 Ratings